Perhaps the biggest gaming purchase decision to make this year isn't which FPS to buy, but which October adventure to take a part in. Both Bethesda and Ubisoft have delivered very special experiences this week that are providing a very difficult decision for many gamers.
We've played and reviewed both Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2, and figured we would weigh in on which game you should buy. Although we're torn on which is the better game, when looking at the best traits of both you will get a good idea of which game suits your tastes better.
Our Review: 4.5/5 – "Impossible to put down"
Review Average: 91/100
Genre: Action-adventure, Stealth
Description: Reprise your role as a supernatural assassin in Dishonored 2 – the follow up to Arkane Studio's first-person action blockbuster and winner of more than 100 'Game of the Year' awards, Dishonored. Play your way in a world where mysticism and industry collide. Will you choose to play as Empress Emily Kaldwin or the royal protector, Corvo Attano? Will you make your way through the game unseen, make full use of its brutal combat system, or use a blend of both? How will you combine your character's unique set of powers, weapons and gadgets to eliminate your enemies? The story responds to your choices, leading to intriguing outcomes, as you play through each of the game's hand-crafted missions.
World: The fictional capital city of Karnaca, a highly developed coastal place surrounded by high cliffs. Its world-leading port is its most defining landmark.
Main Character: Empress Emily Kaldwin and Corvo Attano. Emily is the rightful heir to the throne and an only child. Meanwhile, Corvo is an agent and bodyguard.
- A surplus of powers – As with the first game, you have access to several powers, each with cooldowns and/or resource requirements. These powers are exciting and you don't have to use all of them. These provide great variety to gameplay, in addition to opportunities for serious tactical maneuvers.
- Two main characters – You get to choose you who play as. Both Emily and Corvo have very distinct personalities that respond to the world around them in different ways. You will likely end up playing through the game twice as a result.
- Branching paths – Although this is a relatively linear adventure, you will make moral decisions that affect the outcome. Called the Chaos system, your choice to either kill or avoid confrontation will significantly affect your experience.
- Fantasy world – Karnaca has been praised by many for being a captivating place. It has hints of real world influence, but with a heavy dose of stylized, fantasy flair. There is nothing like it, and it's beautiful to behold.
Best For: Players who desire a deep narrative experience with many options for how to complete the game.
Watch Dogs 2
Our Review: 4.5/5 – "One of my favorite games of the year"
Review Average: 84/100
Genre: Open-world action-adventure, third-person shooter
Official Description: Play as Marcus Holloway, a brilliant young hacker living in the birthplace of the tech revolution, the San Francisco Bay Area. Team up with Dedsec, a notorious group of hackers, to execute the biggest hack in history; take down ctOS 2.0, an invasive operating system being used by criminal masterminds to monitor and manipulate citizens on a massive scale.
World: San Francisco, Oakland, Marin, and Silicon Valley. The world has been described as highly detailed and full of eye candy. Unlike Dishonored 2 it is open-world, and encourages you to travel off the beaten path. You never know what you will find.
Main Character: Marcus Holloway is a 24 year old African American member of the DedSec hacker group. Equipped with incredible acrobatic skills and a high IQ, he prefers to strategically dismantle the competition rather than approach it head-on.
- A massive world to explore – This is an open-world game with hundreds of quests to partake in. This is not a linear title, and thus will provide you with many dozens of hours of entertainment if you happen to enjoy playing it.
- Hacker gameplay – There is a lot of technology featured in the story and gameplay, something we don't often see in AAA games. Geeky types are sure to feel right at home.
- Modes of travel – Marcus can parkour like a boss, but he is also capable of driving a car, boat, and various other vehicles. This provides for some great gameplay opportunities, such as races.
- Multiplayer modes – Of these two games only Watch Dogs 2 has multiplayer. This in and of itself provides an incredible value proposition, especially if a friend of yours is considering buying it as well.
Best For: The gamer who is looking for a new Grand Theft Auto, and is interesting in technology and/or hacking.