How to get Jirachi in Pokemon Go can be a tricky process, as there are many different steps to complete of the new A Thousand-Year Slumber special research. Thankfully, we have a guide at the ready, which should help you secure the new Legendary Pokemon added to the game for 2019. Read on for our full Pokemon Go Jirachi guide, complete with all steps and all rewards, which will help you secure the Wish Pokemon for yourself.
Pokemon Go Jirachi release date and time
As teased by the official Pokemon Go Twitter account, the Pokemon Go Jirachi release date (through the A Thousand-Year Slumber special research) is August 20. A daily countdown was teased with the star emoji, as well as an image of Jirachi that slowly became clearer and clearer.
It’s now possible to get Jirachi in Pokemon Go through the A Thousand-Year Slumber special research, so get yourself prepped and ready using our guide below.
Pokemon Go A Thousand-Year Slumber special research guide
A Thousand-Year Slumber (1/7)
- Catch 25 Pokemon
- A simple task that you should have no problem completing. Just catch 25 Pokemon of any type to secure 1,000 XP!
- Spin 10 PokeStops or Gyms
- Go for a walk and spin 10 of those PokeStops and Gyms to get a Jigglypuff encounter.
- Make 3 new Friends
- Share your Trainer Code and get those invites flowing in. Once you’ve got three new friends, a Feebas encounter will be yours. (Use a Pinap Berry, as you’ll likely need the candy for later!)
- A Thousand-Year Slumber (1/7) Rewards: 1 Mossy Lure, 1 Glacial Lure, and 1 Magnetic Lure
Nice to see you again, [%PLAYERNAME]! I’m excited to get started on our next big adventure.
What do we need to do? Well, I’ve come across something amazing, and I need your help.
We’re going to focus our efforts on Pokémon originally discovered in the Hoenn region, because I have some leads on a Pokémon I’ve never seen before!
First, we need to get some baseline research to help track this Pokémon.
Can you explore the area? Who knows, you might make some friends along the way.
A Thousand-Year Slumber (2/7)
- Catch 3 Whismur
- If you can spare the Ultra Balls, use them here to ensure Whismur doesn’t escape. Pinap Berries are also useful if you’re lacking in Candy. Speaking of Candy, you’ll get 10 Whismur Candy as your reward.
- Evolve a Feebas
- If you haven’t already been walking a Feebas, this is going to get a little tricky. You’ll need to walk a Feebas (which you hopefully didn’t transfer!) 20 KM, then evolve it using 100 Candy. You’ll get 1,500 XP for completing this challenge.
- Gold Hoenn Badge
- You need to have registered 90 Pokemon first discovered in the Hoenn region for this badge. Once you’ve done that, you’ll get 1,500 XP.
- A Thousand-Year Slumber (2/7) Rewards: 2,000 Stardust, 10 Poke Balls, and three Incense
Great job, Trainer. Your work helped me get a better understanding of the search area for this mysterious Pokémon. I can’t wait to show you what I’ve been working on.
A few weeks ago, I came across an ancient text that was found in the Hoenn region. It was filled with fascinating information.
It mentions a Mythical Pokémon that awakens once every thousand years and has the ability to grant wishes!
I really want to get a deeper understanding of this text, and how better to do that than with some research? Can you help me collect some information on Pokémon from the Hoenn region?
A Thousand-Year Slumber (3/7)
- Take a Snapshot of Loudred
- To get a Loudred, you’ll need to either capture one in the wild or evolve one of those Whismurs you just caught. Take a photo of it in Snapshot mode and you’ll get a Snorlax encounter as a reward. Makes sense!
- Make 3 Great Throws in a Row
- Channel your inner Gary Oak and nail those Great Throws. We’d recommend waiting for a Pokemon that comes close to the camera for an easier time. Accomplish this frustrating feat and you’ll earn 2,000 XP.
- Earn 3 Candies walking with your Buddy – 2000 XP
- Time to get walking! Walk something that doesn’t require many KM per Candy and you should be fine. Whismur is a good candidate!
- A Thousand-Year Slumber (3/7) Rewards: 20 Silver Pinap Berries, three Star Pieces, and 2,000 Stardust
Thanks for your help, [%PLAYERNAME]. Your Hoenn Pokédex is really looking great!
The Whismur you caught reminded me of a line from the text I told you about. It mentioned that a melody or a sound can awaken a sleeping Pokémon.
That gives me an idea… Let’s do a little experiment. There’s a sleeping Snorlax that hasn’t left my lab in months. And it’s right in front of my Berry stash!
Think we could wake it up with a loud noise? Let’s document the Whismur Evolution line, too- some photos will do.
A Thousand-Year Slumber (4/7)
- Catch 50 Psychic or Steel Type Pokemon
- This is gonna take a long time. This is just a pure grind. Hopefully there’s a Pokemon Go event that makes this a lot easier! You’ll get 2,500 XP for completing it.
- Power up Pokemon 10 times
- Use your Stardust on your favorite Pokemon, or a low CP and cheap-to-boost Pokemon. Power up 10 times for 2,500 XP.
- Send 10 Gifts to Friends
- Grab Gifts from PokeStops and send 10 of them out to friends. Get 2,500 XP as your reward for this task.
- A Thousand-Year Slumber (4/7) Rewards: 1 Fast TM, 1 Charge TM, and 1 Premium Raid Pass
Wow! That sure was loud, but it did the trick! Loudred worked just like an alarm clock for poor Snorlax.
I should make up for the rude awakening with some Berries… Well, we’ve learned something important here, and I think this method could work to awaken even the deepest of sleepers.
If my calculations are correct, the wish-granting Mythical Pokémon might be ready to awaken soon, and we should be prepared to do the waking!
The text says that the Pokémon is a Steel- and Psychic-type, so I think a good next step is to catch a few Pokémon with similar characteristics.
We’ll need a few extra hands to get this done, too. Could you get some fellow Trainers to help out?
A Thousand-Year Slumber (5/7)
- Battle a Team Leader 3 Times
- Hit the Nearby tab (bottom right of your main screen), swipe over to “Battle,” and then choose a Team Leader to battle. Do this three time to unlock a Kricketune encounter.
- Win Against Another Trainer 7 times
- Battle friends in the Friends tab. You need to win the battles, so either try your hardest or cheese it with a nice mate. Grab 3,000 XP for your troubles!
- Win 5 Raids
- Time to hunt down those Raids. Low-level Raids will be easy to do alone, or you can grab a party of friends to take down the high-level ones. Another 3,000 XP will be yours for completing this task.
- A Thousand-Year Slumber (5/7) Rewards: Three Rare Candy, 20 Ultra Poke Balls, and 3,000 Stardust
Good work, [%PLAYERNAME]. With the help of your research, I’ve been able to decipher more of this ancient text.
It says that when the Mythical Pokémon awakens, it will grant any wishes written on notes attached to its head.
Another interesting tidbit: If this Pokémon senses danger, it will fight without awakening. Up for a Trainer Battle, [%PLAYERNAME]?
If the battle causes any reactions nearby, I have sensors set up to detect them. It might seem like a long shot, but I have a good feeling about this.
A Thousand-Year Slumber (6/7)
- Take 5 Snapshots of Steel or Psychic Pokemon – Chimecho
- That collection of Steel/Psychic Pokemon you’ve been hoarding? Go ahead and snap some photos. Get a Chimecho encounter as the reward.
- Make 3 Excellent Curveball Throws
- These are thankfully not in a row. Again, we’d recommend using a Pokemon that comes close to the camera for easier excellent curveball throws. Nail ’em all to get the Bronzong encounter.
- Spin a Pokestop 7 Days in a Row
- This will take you a week. Just make sure you spin at least one PokeStops each day. You’ll be gifted 4,000 XP upon completion.
- A Thousand-Year Slumber (6/7) Rewards: 10 Silver Pinap Berries, 10 Star Pieces, and 5,000 Stardust.
It worked! I’m picking up some vibrations nearby. I think we’re on the right track.
Maybe the Mythical Pokémon is close to awakening. Since what we’re doing is working, let’s keep it up.
We need to pull out all the stops, though, and the timing has to be just right.
I’ll hold things down here with Loudred while you keep focusing on encountering Steel- and Psychic-type Pokémon.
If you can do that, I think it’ll help the Mythical Pokémon see that you’re a worthy Trainer!
A Thousand-Year Slumber (7/7)
- Catch Jirachi
- It’s time to get Jirachi! Expect it to escape the first two Poke Balls you throw, before finally giving in and letting you capture it on the third attempt.
- A Thousand-Year Slumber (7/7) Rewards: Jirachi encounter.
Simply astonishing! We encountered the Steel- and Psychic-type Pokémon Jirachi!
That was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Well, once in several lifetimes, if Jirachi truly only wakes once every thousand years.
You’ve become such an accomplished Trainer, [%PLAYERNAME]. Thank you for going on this amazing adventure with me.
You can bet I’ll be in touch whenever another exciting research project comes up. Until then, let’s get out there and GO!