When first beginning your adventure in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX, you’ll be asked a series of questions. These questions will then determine which starter the game gives you. Thankfully, if you don’t answer “correctly” to get the Pokemon you actually want, the game lets you change your mind and pick for yourself. This allows for a number of different starter and partner Pokemon combinations. Here’s what we think are the best starters and best partners in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX.
What is the best starter in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX?
If you’ve decided that the default starter that the game assigns you isn’t your cup of tea, then you can take that choice into your own hands. If you’re looking to get a strategic adventure as you play through the game, then take a look at our list of the best starter Pokemon in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX:
- Starting moves: Fake Out, Electro Ball, Grass Knot, Iron Tail
- Starting moves: Mud Bomb, Water Gun, Tackle, Mud Slap
- Starting moves: Dragon Rage, Flame Burst, Bite, Scratch
- Starting moves: Metal Claw, Water Gun, Ice Fang, Scratch
- Starting moves: Scratch, Water Gun, Confusion, Zen Headbutt
- Starting moves: Quick Attack, Ember, Double Kick, Facade
The six above Pokemon are all strong types and have multiple useful attacks that will make them very effective against the majority of enemies you go up against.
Pikachu is the overall best starter in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX due to its electric type and how many of the enemies in the game are of the flying variety. This also means that grass types, who are weak to flying, don’t make for a great starter choice.
If Pikachu isn’t for you, the next best choices are water and fire types. Mudkip, with its ground moves is especially useful and would be our go-to water choice. Charmander takes the lead for the fire types, with great variety in its moveset, including Bite which can take down psychic.
Psyduck also makes the cut with its water/psychic combination.
All of the above starters make for a solid starter choice. If, however, none of these pocket monsters are for you, you can always just go with your personal preference and make up for it with a good partner. Read on for the best partners in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX!
What is the best partner in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX?
The best partner Pokemon in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX will be those that cover your starter’s weaknesses. What’s more, this new version of Mystery Dungeon allows for a number of previously impossible starter/partner combinations. The lack of restrictions means you can go pretty wild with the Pokemon you pair up!
When it comes to the overall best partner Pokemon, though, we have a few top choices:
- If you pick Pikachu as your starter, then go with Mudkip as your partner.
- If you picked Mudkip as your starter, then go with Charmander as your partner.
- If you picked Charmander as your starter, then go with Pikachu as your partner.
- If you picked Totadile as your starter, then go with Charmander as your partner.
- If you picked Psyduck as your starter, then go with Charmander as your partner.
- If you picked Cyndaquil as your starter, then go with Pikachu as your partner.
For other starter/partner combinations, we recommend looking up your starter Pokemon’s type and then aim to counter its weakness with your partner Pokemon. This should make battles easier to win with one Pokemon backing up the other.
If you just want to know which Pokemon team is the best, then we recommend Pikachu as the starter and Mudkip as the partner.