Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is having some teething problems, but that’s pretty much par for the course. A lot of users have found themselves presented with the Black Ops Cold War “Lost connection to host” error. Of course, that means an easy fix is in high demand. So, here’s how to fix the host connection issues on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S.
CoD: Black Ops Cold War ‘Lost connection to host’ error message solution
A number of Black Ops Cold War launch issues relate to the Activision Call of Duty account linking process. It can cause infinite loading screens, but also the problem at hand — the Black Ops Cold War Lost connection to host error.
Here’s how to fix the CoD: Black Ops Cold War ‘Lost connection to host’ error
- Click here, then log into an Activision Call of Duty account.
- Hover over the account name, then choose “Linked Accounts” from the list.
- Link the relevant platform profile to the CoD account; PS4 and PS5 players should choose PlayStation, for example.
- Close and re-open Black Ops Cold War on the relevant platform.
- (PC only) Right-click and run the game as administrator.
PC players that have already linked their Battle.net account can skip straight to the fifth step.
After completing the steps outlined above, the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Lost connection to host error message shouldn’t appear again. If it does, then the issue may be caused by a weak internet connection.
Should the account linking process not solve the Black Ops Cold War host connection lost error, attempt these additional troubleshooting steps:
- Close the game completely, then reboot the console or PC hardware.
- Reset the internet modem and/or router.
- Switch from a wireless Wi-Fi to a wired Ethernet connection, or vice versa.
- If possible, switch to a different network connection.
- Use a mobile device with a large or unlimited data allowance as a hotspot.
If these additional workarounds don’t solve the issue, the problem may not lie with the client (i.e. the person reading this). If the host connection is poor and causing disconnects, it’s possible that no amount of troubleshooting will solve the problem. In this situation, stepping away from the game and trying again later is the best bet. Coming back at an off-peak time should yield the best results.
Failing that, contact Activision Support for additional help with the problem. Just select Black Ops Cold War from the list of games, then input the relevant platform, topic, and issue for assistance.
For more on Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, check out how some players are already cheating by installing hacks. Unfortunately, people are also reverse boosting to access bot or noob lobbies, which doesn’t do anyone much good.