Players trying to jump into Dead by Daylight may occasionally run into error code 8012. This error appears when the game cannot connect to online services. As it turns out, this is a fairly common error, and often doesn’t require any fix at all. However, in rarer cases, you may need to fix error code 8012 by fiddling with Easy Anti-Cheat or your home network settings.
What is Dead by Daylight error code 8012?
There are several different factors that can cause Dead by Daylight error code 8012. The most common cause is either server outages or planned sever maintenance. In rarer cases, error code 8012 could be caused by Easy Anti-Cheat settings or problems with your local internet connection.
Generally speaking, code 8012 most often appears when Dead by Daylight servers are offline. This could be due to patches being rolled out or during Steam’s scheduled maintenance on Tuesdays. Either way, you can rule out problems with your own console or PC by heading to the Dead by Daylight page on DownDetector. There you’ll be able to see user reports on the current status of the game. If errors, disconnects, or outages are being reported, that’s likely why the code is appearing.
How to fix Dead by Daylight error code 8012
Assuming error code 8012 is showing up while the servers are online and functional, it’s time to look for another fix. The second most common cause behind server outages involve in-home network issues. Beyond that, the game’s reliance on Easy Anti-Cheat software seems to cause troubles for certain players. Fortunately, most of these issues are easy to address.
Check over your in-home network
These basic troubleshooting steps will help ensure that your gaming console or PC can form a solid connection to the internet as well as the Dead by Daylight servers.
- Restart your PC or gaming console
- Power cycle your modem, router, or gateway
- If possible, move your gaming device closer to your Wi-Fi router, or switch to a wired Ethernet connection
- Disable any active VPN
- Lastly, ensure that the gaming device can successfully connect online through a network check or by loading another game, app, or website
Try flushing your DNS (PC only)
According to a post on the Dead by Daylight forums, error code 8012 can be resolved by performing a basic DNS flush. This will resolve any bad or outdated connections between your PC and the game’s servers.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Win+R
- Type “cmd” to open the command prompt
- Enter “ipconfig /release” to remove the current IP address
- Type “ipconfig /renew” to request a new IP address from DHCP
- Finally, type “ipconfig /flushdns” to refresh IP entries
Repair or reinstall Easy Anti-Cheat (PC only)
For whatever reason, Easy Anti-Cheat sometimes causes error code 8012 to appear. You can troubleshoot the service by either repairing or reinstalling EAC.
- Locate the EasyAntiCheat folder within the Dead by Daylight installation directory
- Open “EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe.” You may need to run the application as an administrator
- Follow the steps to install or repair the Easy Anti-Cheat software
- Once the process is finished, restart your computer
More often than not, Dead by Daylight error code 8012 is caused by server outages. You’re likely to see this error code any time Steam is undergoing routine maintenance, or if PSN or Xbox Live servers are down. Otherwise, the problem is likely caused by issues with Easy Anti-Cheat or your own home network.