More Reviews
REVIEWS Anomaly 2 Review
Does the tower offense genre exist yet?

Fenix Rage Review
Anger will become your best friend.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sunset Overdrive Preview
Microsoft and Insomniac Games have created a new open-world shooter with clear influences from Jet Grind Radio. We went hands-on with the first hour of the game.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES Interview: Sunset Overdrive's Drew Murray and Ted Price Talk Traversal and Game Design
Insomniac's open-world shooter will land exclusively on Xbox One later this year and we got to go hands-on and speak with the devs on the this stylish Xbox One exclusive.

Sunset Overdrive Co-op Is a Thrill Ride and a Half: TGS Multiplayer Hands-On
I play a co-op round of Sunset Overdrive with seven other people at the Tokyo Game Show.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137 Background: I own and have completed every entry in the Ninja Storm series, so there is inherent bias but luckily this isn’t a review. These are just my thoughts on a fun series I chose to pick up after my Dragon Ball Z Budokai days. I am also only about 3 episodes behind in the...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Picking up a GTX 680 this weekend, I think..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Picking up a GTX 680 this weekend, I think.. Reply with quote

Aware me if this is a bad choice or if there is some new tech around the corner I should wait for coming before Crysis 3 on Feb 19th.

Not extremely current with hardware atm.. so thought i'd ask some quick advice before i drop a few bucks.

edit : and 2GB vs. 4GB doesn't matter at all just using a single 1080p monitor aye? i know this answer but i'm asking it anyway.

upgrading from a 7870, gonna throw the 7870 in my work computer and have the gtx 680 at home
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTX 660 in SLi is about a 100 dollars cheaper than a single GTX 680 and performs admirably well compared to it.

http://lanoc.org/review/video-cards/5953

If you don't want to mess with SLi, the GTX 680 is a good card. What PSU do you have and processor? Also, go for the 2GB.

This GTX 670 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127685 will best the 680 in some benchmarks, match it in others and only fall maybe 3 percent behind in others. If you want my opinion, which you must since you posted on a forum Wink go with this card. It will save you 40+ dollars or so without really sacrificing performance. Really, you're not gaming at a resolution higher than 1080p and even if you were the 1-4 fps difference would be very minute. The GTX 670 would be more than capable. As would the GTX 660 in SLi Smile
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty. I'm basically buying it because I want to max Crysis 3, it just looks so beautiful. And I have some extra cash to throw around thanks to a Christmas bonus and unused vacation pay.

As long as the 670 will max Crysis 3 I'm happy to save a few extra bucks.

And yea I don't have any interest in messing with SLI, it's just an OCD thing I think. I don't think unless one day I'm forced to use SLI somehow will I ever bother with it.

PSU is more than enough I can't remember the exact model as I'm at work atm, and CPU is an i5-2500k.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not wait for the GTX7xx/Titan to launch, and snap up a GTX680 from one of the people upgrading?
You'd save a decent chunk of coin and be able to get the 4gb version for that e-peen factor. The 7870 will run Crysis 3 well enough for now, just overclock the shit out of it.

I'm not telling you to wait for the GTX780 because it's gearing up to be insanely expensive. As in, SLI GTX680 w/ watercooling expensive.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't buy the 680. The GTX 670 is nearly identical in performance and costs considerably less. I would also avoid the 660 SLI setup. You are going to get microstuttering on current games even at 1080 with that setup.
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
I'm not telling you to wait for the GTX780 because it's gearing up to be insanely expensive. As in, SLI GTX680 w/ watercooling expensive.

Plus it might not be out until March or later.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the motion to get a 670 instead.
I have two 680s but I bought mine before the 670s had even been released. My ex roomate now has two 670s and you would be hard pressed to find a difference in performance except under the most extreme conditions I try to put it through like 8x sparse grid super sampling at 120fps. Which is something you have to force through tweaking a sli profile you cant just turn it on in a game.

Sli is good but only when it works and it indeed doesn't work in every game and doesn't work perfect in the ones that do either. I know people have posted that they would rather buy two lesser cards and sli them and get better performance but in my experience your much better off getting the more beefy card. If the game does have micro stutter due to sli its annoying as fuck. Games like Need For Speed Most wanted wont even use sli. Even if you force alternative frame rendering it wont scale both cards.

If you ever need help getting your system to work feel free to pm Me, Green lantern or any of the other tech guys around here.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
You'd save a decent chunk of coin and be able to get the 4gb version for that e-peen factor. .

4GB VRAM on 1080p isn't close to necessary.
Lethean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
madster111 wrote:
You'd save a decent chunk of coin and be able to get the 4gb version for that e-peen factor. .

4GB VRAM on 1080p isn't close to necessary.
]
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:

If you ever need help getting your system to work feel free to pm Me, Green lantern or any of the other tech guys around here.

it's all good i always build my own rigs and whatnot. just i usually stop following whats new and whats coming out after i do a build, and get right back into it when i feel like my current rig is getting outdated.

my current PC is only a year or so old, just want to make sure it smacks crysis 3 in the nuts. so really only need a new GPU

and i have a 5770 at work which is barely enough to cut it for WoW on busy fights at medium settings, computer about shits itself. so i'm excited to throw my 7870 in this one as well.

i'll just find a good deal on a 670
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear Very Happy
Lethean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm telling ya grab that MSI card. The cooler on that is one of the best stock coolers you can get and the clock speeds are nice.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you can do it 2 ways, either buy one with a good cooler already on it or buy the cheapest reference you can find and put on an aftermarket one yourself. The first option is generally the best.

Lethean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Yeah you can do it 2 ways, either buy one with a good cooler already on it or buy the cheapest reference you can find and put on an aftermarket one yourself. The first option is generally the best.

Especially since a lot of what's been said is the 6xx series doesn't overclock as well as some of the other lines of Nvidia cards.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the palit jetstream 670 a while ago, and it looks pretty good...

Lethean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
I looked at the palit jetstream 670 a while ago, and it looks pretty good...

Yeah. For the 670s I'd take either that MSI I linked, the Palit or the Zotac Amp!

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/graphics-cards/zotac-gtx-670-amp-edition-1079772/review

WTF is with Madster and I agreeing on everything.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn zotac amp is in stock and on sale in London for 339.99

im at work and unable to pick it up until friday and there is only one left in stock Sad clearance sale.
Lethean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What store?
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook the EVGA GTX 670 FTW. I've got one in my rig and I personally think it's the best all-around 670. It didn't make it into a lot of the review roundups because it came out after most of the other 670 models.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada computers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: