Ah, to be young and mutated. Wait. This isn’t X-Men, this is Fallout 76. Players can pick up mutations in Fallout 76 in a variety of different ways, but the easiest (and most Rads-free) method is to purchase a Fallout 76 Mutation Serum. While picking up a mutation without the dreaded Rads sounds great, be warned, as these Fallout 76 Mutation Serums come with side-effects. Find out all there is to know about the Mutation Serums below.
Fallout 76 Mutation Serum – What Are the Mutation Serums?
While it doesn’t sound like a particularly great idea on paper, becoming mutated in Fallout 76 can actually do you the world of good. Most mutations you pick up, however, do come with positive and negative effects.
The Herd Mentality mutation, for example, will give all of your attributes a boost of +2 when playing in a group, but it will reduce all of your attributes by -2 when playing alone. You can pick up mutations by swimming in rivers, but this does give you a hefty dose of Rads. This is where Mutation Serums come in.
A Fallout 76 Mutation Serum will award you with a mutation without the dastardly side effects of Rads. As with regular mutations, however, you will still lose your mutation upon removing your Rads. The good news is that you can go for much longer with a nice mutation. A Mutation Serum will also negate the negative side effects of a mutation for an hour. Naturally, after an hour has passed, you will feel both the positive and negative effects of the mutation in full force.
The bad news is that the Mutation Serums don’t come cheap and can only be found (as far as we know) in a specific location.
Fallout 76 Mutation Serum – How to Get
As of writing, the only place we know of that you can get hold of a Mutation Serum in Fallout 76 is in Whitespring Bunker (which is highlighted in the map above). You will only be able to do this, however, by completing the Enclave storyline. Our Fallout 76 Enclave guide will surely help you locate and finish the quest.
You will find the Whitespring Bunker (a giant white building) near to Route 63A. This is directly to the east of Charleston, you’ll find the Whitespring Bunker just to the south of the Whitespring Resort.
Once inside the Bunker, you’ll need to head into the Science Division (which is near the bottom of the Bunker, past the Production and Medical Divisions), where you’ll find several Modus Science Terminals, each selling Mutation Serums. It’s close the same place where you can pick up the Stimpak Recipe too.
There are a fair number of Mutation Serums to buy, but each one will set you back a staggering 3680 caps at least. Prices will vary if you have different perks activated, however, if this Reddit post thread is anything to go on. If you’re after these Serums, you may well want to take a look at our How to Get Caps Fast in Fallout 76 guide. The full list of available Serums can be found in-game on a big computer next to the terminals.
Fallout 76 Mutation Serum – Complete List of Mutation Serums
Every time you log in to a different server in Fallout 76 the list of available Mutation Serums to buy will change. If you don’t see a mutation serum that you would like to buy, simply log out, log back into a new server and check to see what’s available now. You should find what you want after a few tries. Just remember that they’ll always be for sale in the same place.
You can see the full list (as far as we’re aware) of Mutation Serums in Fallout 76 and their positive and negative effect, to boot (respectively), below. For all of the Serums, though, it’s good to remember that the negative effects don’t come into effect until after an hour:
- Adrenal Reaction Serum / Increased weapon damage at low HP / Max HP -50
- Bird Bones Serum / Agility increased by +4, decreased fall damage / Strength reduce by -4 and brittle bones
- Carnivore Serum / Benefits from eating meat doubles, no disease build up from eating meat / Can’t eat vegetables
- Chameleon Serum / Invisible when you’re not moving and unarmored
- Eagle Eyes Serum / Critical damage increase of 25%, Perception increase of +4 / Strength decrease of -4
- Egg Head Serum / Intelligence increase of +6 / Strength and endurance decrease of -3
- Electrically Charged Serum / Can potentially shock and stagger enemies who attack with melee weapons
- Empath Serum / A 25% reduction in damage for all squadmates / You take 25% more damage
- Grounded Serum / Energy resistance increase of 100% / Energy damage reduction of 20%
- Healing Factor Serum / Health regeneration increase of 300% / Chemical effects reduction of 55%
- Herbivore Serum / Benefits of eating vegetables doubles, no disease build up, either / Can’t eat meat
- Herd Mentality Serum / All attributes increase by +2 when in a group / All attributes reduce by -2 when alone
- Marsupial Serum / Carry weight increase of +20, improved jumping / Intelligence decrease of -4
- Plague Walker Serum / Granted a poison aura that is better or worse depending on your disease
- Scaly Skin Serum / Damage and energy resistance increase of +50 / AP reduction of -50
- Speed Demon Serum / Movement speed increase of +20 and faster reloading / Thirst and Hunger increase more quickly
- Talons Serum / Unarmed and bleed chance increase of 25% / Gun accuracy decrease of -50%
- Twisted Muscles Serum / Melee and limb damage increase of 25% / Weapon accuracy decrease of 50%
- Unstable Isotope Serum / You might radiate enemies attacking with melee weapons
As far as we know, these are all of the Fallout 76 Mutation Serums that you can purchase at Whitespring Bunker. Of course, we will update this post with any more we come across, or if the list changes at all.