Unlocking all the characters in Risk of Rain 2 is no easy task, but it’s a challenge well worth undertaking. The character that you choose to play will dictate how you play through that run and having access to each of the available characters can give you some different options to work with. While there are only six characters available right now, we will update this article with more information as the other characters release throughout Risk of Rain 2’s development. For now, though, let’s focus on what you need to know to unlock all characters in Risk of Rain 2.
How to unlock all characters in Risk of Rain 2
While there are six available characters in Risk of Rain 2, you’ll only need to unlock five of them. The first character, the Commando, is available for all players when they first launch the game. Unlocking each of the additional characters in Risk of Rain 2 will come with its own challenges. We’ve explained how to complete each of these tasks below, so you’ll know exactly what you’re doing when the time comes.
How to unlock MUL-T in Risk of Rain 2
One of the easier characters to unlock of the batch, MUL-T is a tank-like fighter that features a two-weapon and equipment setup. This allows players to make use of his Auto-Nailgun for a volley of attacks, or swap things up to his Rebar Puncher, for a high-powered sniper-like attack. MUL-T is set up to work well with just about any comp that you can run in Risk of Rain 2, making him a desirable champion to unlock early on. The good news is, to unlock this character you’re only going to need to complete the Verified challenge by completing the first teleporter event five times. It’ll happen naturally, and quickly, so just play the game.
MUL-T’s skills include:
- Multifunctional – Can hold two equipment at once. Is swapped out by using the Retool skill.
- Auto-Nailgun – Rapidly fires six nails for 60% damage when initially pressed. Can be held down like a machinegun.
- Blast Canister – Launchers a stun canister that deals 220% damage on hit, then explodes into stun bomblets dealing 5 x 44% damage.
- Transport Mode – MUL-T shoots forward, dealing 250% damage to any enemies caught in its path. Also causes the character to gain both armor and speed for a short time.
How to unlock Huntress in Risk of Rain 2
Next up on the list is the Huntress. This fierce and powerful fighter is both agile and capable of dealing quite a bit of damage to enemies when stocked with the right items. Unlocking her will can be easy or difficult depending on your skill with the game. To unlock Huntress, you’ll need to complete the Warrior achievement, which can only be unlocked after you reach and complete the third teleporter event without dying.
Players will find the following skills available for Huntress:
- Strafe – Fires a seeking arrow for 150%. Can be used while sprinting, however it requires a target to fire.
- Laser Glaive – Huntress throws out a seeking glaive that bounces off of enemies up to 6 times dealing 250% damage. Damage will increase by 10% each richochet.
- Blink – Allows Huntress to vanish and teleport forward a good distance. Useful for getting away from enemies.
- Arrow Rain – Huntress teleports into the sky and then targets an area, raining down arrows and dealing 225% damage per second to any enemies caught in the circle. Also slows enemies as they pass through.
How to unlock the Engineer in Risk of Rain 2
The Engineer is by far one of the more time-consuming characters to unlock, requiring players to complete 30 areas. This can be done across several different runs, though, which means you can die as much as you need to in the harder difficulty areas, so long as you keep playing. Honestly, this one will take you a few hours to complete, but it isn’t that difficult of a task to pull off, and the reward is well worth it. The Engineer offers a different playstyle than any of the other heroes we’ve covered so far, requiring both planning and positioning if you really want to get the most from it.
Engineer boasts the following skills:
- Bouncing Grenades – Charge and release up to 8 grenades that deal 100% damage each.
- Pressure Mines – Place down a mine that deals 300% damage whenever an enemy triggers it by walking nearby. Can place up to 10 anywhere around the map, making it easy to set up choke points and lead enemies through.
- Bubble Shield – Throws down an impenetrable shield that blocks any incoming damage.
- TR12 Gauss Auto-Turret – The Engineers crème de la crème. Can place down 2 turrets at once, and the turrets inherit all items that the Engineer has equipped. Cannons deal 100% damage per hit.
How to unlock the Mercenary in Risk of Rain 2
While most of the other characters we’ve covered so far can be unlocked through simply playing the game, the Mercenary will require quite a bit of a grind if players wish to unlock it. In order to unlock this champion, players are going to need to play through the game until they reach the first stage again. Then, you will need to continue playing until you reach the Rallypoint Delta level—the area with all the snow. When you complete this stage a Celestial Portal will appear, allowing you to travel to a new area.
This is where you will find the Obelisk. It’s hard to miss the overall imposing look of the Obelisk, so players shouldn’t have any trouble spotting it. When you do spot it, make your way up to it. To unlock the Mercenary, you will need to complete the True Respite achievement, which challenges you with obliterating yourself at the Obelisk. Simply walk up to the Obelisk when you’re ready, and interact with it to do the deed, unlocking this character.
The following skills make up the Mercenary’s arsenal:
- Cybernetic Enhancements – The Mercenary can double jump without any additional items.
- Laser Sword – Slash in front of the player, dealing 130% damage. Every 3rd attack deals 300% damage in a greater area around the character.
- Whirlwind – Slash horizontally twice, dealing 200% damage each slice. If in the air, Mercenary will strike vertically instead.
- Blinding Assault – Dash forward and stun enemies for 200% damage. If you strike an enemy with the first dash, can dash again, up to three times total.
- Eviscerate – Targets the nearest enemy and attacks them for 110% repeatedly. Mercenary cannot be hit during this attack.
How to unlock the Artificer in Risk of Rain 2
Finally, the last character available during the first phase of Risk of Rain 2’s early access, is the Artficer. In order to unlock this character, players will need to travel to through the Lunar Portal. While this portal can spawn randomly after completing a teleporter event, the best way to gain access is to use a Lunar Coin at a Newt Altar. These glowing blue rocks can often be found around the various stages, thought it might take a little luck to find one.
Before you run off and start tossing your Lunar Coins around, though, try to make sure you have at least 11. You’ll need one coin to gain access to the Lunar Portal, and then another 10 Lunar Coins to unlock the Artificer once you travel through the portal. When you have the necessary coins, gain access to the Lunar Portal however you can. This can be done through RNG, or by interacting with a Newt Altar. Travel through the portal to the Bazaar Between Realms and then head down the path and interact with the massive block of ice next to the NPC here. If you have 10 Lunar Coins, you’ll be able to “free the survivor” adding the Artificer to your roster. Doing this will also complete the Pause challenge, adding that to your Logbook.
The Artificer includes these skills:
- Flame Bolt – Fires a bolt that deals 200% damage and ignites enemies. Can hold up to 4 charges at one time.
- Charged Nano-Bomb – Charge and send out a nano-bomb that deals anywhere from 400%-1200% damage and stuns enemies in its path.
- Snapfreeze – Creates a wall of ice that entraps enemies and deals 100% damage. Enemies within a certain HP threshold will be killed instantly.
- Flamethrower – Burns all enemies in front of the player for 1700% damage.
Now that you have all the available characters unlocked, it’s time to dive in and find out which one works best for you and your team of friends. Risk of Rain 2 will continue to expand as the developers add more content throughout its Steam early access phase, and we’ll be sure to provide this article with updates as new characters become available.