After a huge Anniversary Update not long ago, a new Sea of Thieves update has rolled out. The Sea of Thieves 2.0.2 patch went live earlier today for Xbox One and Windows 10. You can download the 2.0.2 patch on your console or computer now. If you’re playing on an Xbox One then you can expect a 3.17GB update, but if you’re on an Xbox One X or a Windows 10 PC, you can expect a slightly bigger 4.59GB update. The Sea of Thieves 2.0.2 patch is a quality-of-life update as opposed to a content update, so let’s take a look at what exactly is new with the patch!
Sea of Thieves 2.0.2 Patch Notes Summary
The Hunter’s Call
The Hunter’s Call has received a facelift as part of the Sea of Thieves 2.0.2 patch, getting rid of a few pesky little bugs. For starters, players are now able to use the harpoon to tether a sinking rowboat. Additionally, the bug that was causing items dropped from a harpoon to get stuck inside the hull of a ship has been fixed.
The harpoon is not the only thing that got fixed in in The Hunter’s Call: From now on when players equip bait to their fishing rod and then leave the Ferry of the Damned, their bait will no longer be left floating in the doorway. Also, the Legend of the Deep title is now correctly stating that 50 fish must be delivered to complete the quest.
Tall Tales – Shores of Gold
Tall Tales – Shores of Gold received a couple of minor fixes that aren’t really worth mentioning; however, there were a few that stood out. In The Art of the Trickster, players will now be alerted via a popup when they have defeated the Captain in the Trapmaker’s Lair. An issue was also fixed which was causing players to be randomly spawned on The Shores of Gold while playing in the main world. These are just a few of many fixes that came with the Sea of Thieves 2.0.2 patch, a full list of patch notes can be seen below.
Sea of Thieves 2.0.2 Patch Notes
- Fishing/Hunting with a Full Inventory – When trying to retrieve a fish caught on a line or food from the ground, players are now clearly told when they have a full inventory.
- Cooking Pot Food Placement – We’ve spiced up the cooking pot with some visual variety, and food placed into the pot will no longer land in the same spot every time.
- Harpooning a Gunpowder Skeleton – Latching on to a gunpowder keg from a gunpowder skeleton will now detonate the keg on impact.
- Retrieving a Rowboat – Rowboats can now be harpooned and dragged off islands into the water.
- Get Over Here! – Players docked to interaction points such as Rowboat seats, cannons or the ship’s wheel can now be grabbed by harpoons.
- Get Down! – Players can now be rescued from the clutches of the Kraken using a harpoon.
- Crew Icons in The Arena – Players will now see an icon alongside pirates’ gamertags defining which crew they represent.
- Gold Hoarder Curse – Players who have previously been awarded the Gold Hoarder Curse by completing all Tall Tales – Shores of Gold Commendations will find the Gold Hoarder Curse has been visually improved and all players now have the same consistent design. Any new players earning the reward will also be rewarded with the new design.
- Renaming Insider Rewards – The Insider exclusive cosmetics have been rebranded as the ‘Silver Blade’ Set. Players who have previously been awarded these items from playing Insider updates will find their set has been renamed, and any future rewards will use this new set name.
- Player shadows will no longer be visible prior to a player respawning onto their ship.
- Gunpowder keg explosions will now have the correct VFX when inside an underwater cave.
- Skeletons will now display the correct VFX when inside an underwater cave.
- When at low health, eating food that restores you to full health now correctly shows the health bar filling to max.
- Resolved an issue allowing a player’s bucket to hold more than the intended quantity of water.
- Resolved the ability for players to become stuck between rocks on Kraken’s Fall.
- Resolved several localisation issues on Riddle Quest maps.
- Killing a captured animal then handing the crate to another pirate now shows the correct tooltip.
- Resolved collision issues and floating objects on an unnamed reef.
- Picking up a chest while holding a banana no longer causes the chest to be held at a strange angle.
- The Athena Shipwright now correctly stocks the Ghost Flag and Pirate Legendary Flag for purchase.
- The Athena Equipment Shop now correctly stocks the Legendary Spyglass for purchase.
- When using the spyglass repeatedly, the blur effect should no longer get stuck onscreen.
- Resolved a clipping issue when scaling text chat notifications to maximum.
- The ‘What’s New’ section on the PC front end will now correctly cycle through new information.
The Hunter’s Call
- Resolved issues that caused items dropped from a harpoon to get stuck inside the hull of the ship.
- ‘Legend of the Deep’ Title now correctly states requiring 50 fish to be delivered.
- Equipping bait to your fishing rod then leaving the Ferry of the Damned will no longer leave the bait floating in the doorway.
- All food items now have functioning phrases in the pirate chat radial.
- Players are now unable to use the harpoon to tether to sinking rowboats.
- Resolved an issue causing a harpoon line to suddenly attach to the center of the world.
- The scoreboard that displays at the end of a contest now matches the style of the onscreen scoreboard more consistently.
- Resolved level of detail issues across the Sea Dogs Tavern.
- Resolved collision issues with some Sea Dogs Tavern rugs.
- Resolved collision issues with the exterior of the Sea Dogs Tavern.
- Revised incorrect controller instructions provided by Dimitri.
- Getting a bite from a while using a fishing rod towards the end of a contest will no longer force the controller to rumble and lock the player’s camera on return to the Sea Dogs Tavern.
Tall Tales – Shores of Gold
- Resolved numerous cases where spawned quest items were cleaned up after extended periods of time prior to players reaching them, causing a ‘Tale Failed’ state.
- Resolved an issue preventing water splash VFX from falling water in puzzle vaults from displaying.
- ‘The Shroudbreaker’ – Players who migrate servers after having retrieved theShroudbreaker artefact in the first Tale will now be able to correctly hand in and complete the Tale.
- ‘The Cursed Rogue’ – Resolved spelling issues in Madame Olivia’s opening cutscene subtitles.
- ‘The Wild Rose’ – Leaving behind the Chest of Memories once the pages have been removed will no longer cause a ‘Tale Failed’ state.
- ‘The Art of the Trickster’ – The medallions dropped by the vault skeletons will now be the correct medallions for the vault you have been allocated.
- ‘The Art of the Trickster’ – Players will now receive a popup when defeating the Captain in the Trapmaker’s Lair.
- ‘Fate of the Morningstar’ – Freed ghosts on the Ferry of the Damned will now play the correct idle animations.
- ‘Revenge of the Morningstar’ – The Collector’s Chest awarded by this Tale will no longer be removed after completing or failing the Tale.
- ‘The Shores of Gold’ – Resolved collision issues with a certain type of tree.
- ‘The Shores of Gold’ – Players should no longer be randomly spawned on the Shores of Gold when playing in the main world.
- ‘The Shores of Gold’ – The mast puzzle in the dark room should no longer show the masts in an incorrect position when first reaching the room.
- ‘The Shores of Gold’ – Resolved collision issues in the environment to prevent players clipping into geometry.
- ‘The Legendary Storyteller’ Collector’s Chest – Leaving Briggsy’s Chest behind once the woodenplank has been removed can cause a ‘Tale Failed’ state following a server migration.
- ‘Stars of a Thief’ Totem – After placing the Star Jewels in the statue to retrieve the totem, leaving the area and returning will cause the statue to close and the totem to be lost.
- Health bar UI delays – When regenerating health from cooked food, taking damage may cause adelay to the health bar update.
- Sea Dogs Tavern purchase delays – Players who purchase an item from the Sea Dog Tavern shop shortly before migrating to a new server will not immediately see the purchase in their inventory. The purchase has been successful, but will only be shown when the player returns to the tavern after their next contest.
- Fate of the Morningstar – On starting the Tale and reaching the first dig location, players may find they are unable to retrieve the enchanted item. This issue currently blocks progress through this Tall Tale.
- Kraken Meat – We’ve identified an issue preventing Kraken meat from being dropped when defeating Kraken tentacles.
- Sailor of Athena’s Fortune Commendation Progress – Players do not receive progress towards the Sailor of Athena’s Fortune Commendation while their crew have both an Athena’s Fortune Voyage and a Tall Tale active and then subsequently complete the Tall Tale. Sailing miles progress is accrued prior to the Tall Tale being completed.
Closing out the Sea of Thieves 2.0.2 patch notes is a note from the team that says “We are continuing to work on resolutions for all these issues for a future update.”
When you click on a retail link, we might earn a commission that helps us support the site. Learn more here.