The Anthem 1.40 update has been revealed by EA and BioWare. Not content with continually improving their RPG shooter, the pair have disclosed what changes are coming in the 1.4.0 patch notes today. There’s a whole host of bug fixes, general improvements, and other bits and pieces that have been refined. They’re nothing if not thorough, and these fixes should make for a pleasant playing experience. Get the full rundown on what’s been changed by reading our Anthem 1.40 update guide, and then hop in your Javelin to get reacquainted with the game, Freelancer.
Anthem 1.40 Update | Bug fixes and improvements
Let’s dive into what the main changes are within the Anthem 1.40 update. First off, you’ll notice that your Vault can now hold up to 350 items. This is a big boost to anyone who was annoyed at having to constantly discard items that wouldn’t fit. It’s worth noting that the Vault’s Junk tab can only hold 200 items now too so, once this is full, you can’t chuck any other stuff away.
Any Freeplay challenges you complete are now put into a “Completed” sub-section in the Cortex too. This is really helpful for those who had a hard time distinguishing what challenges they had left to take on, and just makes the UI that bit more streamlined.
Squads rejoice, for you can skip cutscenes if your entire party agrees to do so. If all members of your party agree to breeze past cinematics, you can vote to skip them by holding the B button on Xbox One, circle on PS4, and Esc on PC. Now you don’t have to sit through cinematics every time you take on a mission with your mates.
Finally, the Infinite Load bug has been sorted out if your graphics settings in the Cataclysm were set to “low”. If you need to keep these settings, you’ll still be able to load Cataclysm missions, side-quests, and more without being stuck in a never-ending loading screen. Three cheers to that and the rest of this Anthem 1.40 update.
Anthem 1.40 Update | Full patch notes
There are a ton of other fixes and improvements in these Anthem 1.40 update patch notes so, for the lowdown on everything that’s been resolved, read on below.
Bug Fixes & Improvements
UI, Cortex, Quality of Life & Cosmetics
- We’ve increasing Vault limit to 350 items. Enjoy the extra space!
- Because of the increase in inventory size to 350, the Vault’s junk tab is now limited to 200 items. The current item counts out of 200 on the junk tab is displayed near the inventory count in the lower-left corner of the Vault. Once the junk tab is full, no items can be junked until others are marked to keep or salvage.
- Fixed an issue causing the player to be warned of hitting the Vault space limit too soon.
- Fixed an issue allowing players to craft items when Vault space is full.
- Fixed an issue that prevented some players from making purchases in the seasonal or featured stores.
- Corrected challenges that were incorrectly named menus. (New Dawn, Dark Passage & Hope Shattered)
- The challenge “Weekly: Darkness Falls” now appears correctly in the Path To Glory > Weekly challenge category.
- The Vault now works correctly when players open melee, then switch to Components in the menu.
- Reduced the target number required to complete “Daily: Note Taker” and “Weekly: Storm Chaser” challenges. (Fewer notes are needed to complete these challenges now.)
- Fixed a bug where repeatedly selecting B/Circle while in weapon selection could cause the camera to get stuck.
- Updated Forge vinyl filter titles from Small/Medium/Large to Decal/Graphic/Wrap.
- Icons for the Shield Sigil were updated to now match the crafting recipe icons.
- The storefront icon for the vinyl wrap “Maker of Rain” was lightened.
- Added timer to seasonal store to show when items will change.
- Text no longer overlaps with other UI elements in the Masterwork support gear blueprints.
- The Challenge “Weekly: Darkness Falls” now has a more accurate description.
- The Challenge “Weekly: Storm Chaser” now has a description.
- Fixed an issue where the Cortex did not always appear when switching between categories.
- Updated descriptions for the following challenges:
- Survival: Made of Brass
- Survival: Made of Iron
- Survival: Made of Steel
- Score: On Target
- Score: Target Locked
- Score: Target Eliminated
- Shifted the position of the Freelancer enclave leaderboard away from a door.
- Clarified the UI text for each Grandmaster difficulty level regarding recommended power levels for activities.
- “Friend Bonus” text changed to “Guild Bonus” where applicable.
- Guild invites can no longer be sent to players on different gaming platforms.
- Quickplay is no longer permanently selected on the Start of Expedition screen.
- Freeplay challenges are now sorted into a “Completed” category in the Cortex when finished.
- A Primer/Detonator icon was added to the animation shown after crafting an item in the Forge.
- Updated the icon for the “Victor’s Resolve” component to better reflect its functionality.
- All references to the challenge “Complete all Mission Challenges” was renamed were updated to “Defender of Tarsis.”
- Expedition difficulty information was added to the expedition “Tracked” menu.
- HUD opacity settings now apply to the player HUD in Fort Tarsis.
- Materials sold by the crafting store vendor now specify how many of each material can be purchased.
- Salvaging animation latency in the Vault and Forge was reduced.
- Various quality of life improvements was made to minor user interface instructions and HUD elements.
- Various fixes and visual improvements were made to various armor packs, wraps, and decals.
- Various UI fixes were made.
- Various Cortex and journal entry text and image fixes and improvements were made.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Colossus shield to take no damage from projectiles.
- Loot drops were removed from the first Ursix encounter in the “What Harken Wants” mission to prevent an exploit.
- Fixed an issue that could cause enemies to spawn behind walls in the “Temple of Scar” mission.
- An unintended fog wall was removed from a doorway in the “Temple of Scar” mission.
- The large door in the room before the second chest in the “Temple of Scar” mission no longer becomes invisible when the party is defeated.
- Fixed an issue where the Sticky Grenade/The Gambit and Aftershock/Sentinel’s Vengeance would detonate immediately when attaching to an enemy’s weak point.
- Adjusted a teleport pad position to prevent a player spawning partially under the terrain.
- Corrected the location of the echo pool that summons the optional boss during the “Sea of Takaro” event.
- Increased the force field size in the “Casja’s Forge” event to prevent players from squeezing through without dropping the relic shard while the forcefield is active.
- Fixed an issue preventing Eternal Squall (with multiple charges) from both priming and detonating to trigger a combo.
- Moved the boss in the Sentinel Ambush Scar encounter to spawn from a portal instead of a bunker.
- Implemented a change that un-spawns/removes any additional enemies Vara has spawned once she is defeated.
- Interceptor cluster mine now explodes properly when colliding with a Titan.
- Fixed a bug that caused some players to get trapped under the Forge in rare instances.
- Fixed a bug that caused the loot from Seelos’ defeat to be trapped inside her force field.
- Players will now get a party gather warning when standing near the door of the “Temple of Scar” boss arena.
- Party gather messages no longer appear at the edges of the “Temple of Scar” boss arena.
- Players can now use matchmaking to join in-progress trials in the “Fortress of Dawn” mission.
- The Colossus shield bar no longer disappears when the player tries to open the shield immediately after the bar has fully recharged.
- Interceptor and Ranger support pieces no longer drop with combo bonuses that are only applicable to specific gear pieces. (Example: Combo Aura Effect % on a Target Beacon)
- Fixed an issue where health and ammo were not spawning correctly in some instances.
- Fixed an issue that caused the elemental icons on a Storm’s ultimate to be off by one when a player repeatedly pressed the right trigger button.
- Fixed geometry at a number of locations to prevent Freelancers from going out of bounds.
- Various fixes and improvements to Cataclysm content update.
- Various fixes and improvements to non-Cataclysm base game content.
Story, Cinematics & Audio
- Added the ability to skip cinematics if everyone in the squad agrees. Hold the appropriate button to vote to skip the cinematic scene. (B on Xbox One, Circle on PS4, Esc on PC).
- Fixed a rare crash in audio loading code.
- Corrected the lighting of the cinematic scene that occurs after Vara is defeated.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the proper music from loading during Vara/Harken cinematic scenes in Cataclysm content.
- Corrected various music cues during some contract missions.
- Interactable content in Brin’s role-playing episodes is no longer gated by ambient radio recordings; these ambient episodes now occur at the end of the role-playing arc.
- Fixed an issue that caused Owen to disappear from a cutscene on rare occasion.
- Various fixes and improvements to audio issues.
Other General Bug Fixes & Improvements
- Fixed an issue that caused an Infinite Load when loading in the Cataclysm if graphics settings were set to “Low.”
- Fixed an issue causing some players to get stuck at the “End of Expedition” screen after exiting the “Start of Expedition” screen.
- Fixed an occasional crash that occurred when changing weapons/gear caused an “Old item not loaded” error message.
- Fixed a bug that stretched game display elements when playing the game on ultrawide monitors (21:9 ratio).
- Visual effects improved to better balanced nighttime visual environment and performance optimization.
- Fixed an issue with the Sniper laser being green at night, and the beam lighting being too intense.
- Various art fixes.
- Fixed an issue that caused players to be stuck at “Recording Victory” after ending Quickplay.