The MediEvil remaster is out, letting players relive the adventures of Sir Daniel Fortesque. However, for some nothing will replace the PlayStation original. Luckily for them, it exists as a hidden unlockable in the remaster. For those interested in playing it, here’s how to unlock and play the original MediEvil.
MediEvil remaster | How to unlock the original PS1 game
Unlocking the original game in the new MediEvil remaster involves Lost Souls. These are a whole new set of collectibles and side quests that Other Ocean Emeryville added when they remade the game. Laying all of these Lost Souls to rest will unlock the original PS1 game.
Before players can start laying these Lost Souls to rest however, they need to unlock them first. Players can do this in the Entrance Hall level, taking the right path downstairs to find a blue chest. Opening the chest will unlock the Lost Souls.
After unlocking the Lost Souls, every level in the game will now have an “S” icon on the map. This signals whether or not a Lost Soul has been found there. Players must then replay these levels to find these Lost Souls and complete their challenges.
MediEvil remaster | Where to find the Lost Souls
Laying each Lost Soul to rest is no easy feat however. Each will give the player a riddle that basically constitutes a side quest that must be completed before they can be laid to rest. These riddles point to a location where the player place an item, which will then trigger a challenge that must be completed. Below, is a list of these Lost Souls, and where to find them.
- Fisherman Formes (The Entrance Hall)
- Brute Bruty (The Graveyard)
- Ye Old Olivara (Cemetery Hill)
- Baffy the Baffler (The Hilltop Mausoleum)
- Surgeon Sherman (Return to the Graveyard)
- Chen the Enchantress (Scarecrow Fields)
- Peter, Peter, Pumkin (Pumpkin Gorge)
- Treviarnus, the Troubadour (The Pumpkin Serpent)
- Grave Keeper Kambic (The Sleeping Village)
- Gavin the Golden (The Asylum Grounds)
- Sir Schmidt the Hermit (Inside the Asylum)
- Daring D. Castro (The Enchanted Earth)
- Hopper the Legless (Pools of the Ancient Dead)
- Son Jr., Son of Sr. (The Lake)
- Knight McKnight (The Crystal Caves)
- Nautical Nachbaur (The Gallows Gauntlet)
- Barrelman Badillo (The Haunted Ruins)
- Captain Coffman (The Ghost Ship)
- Sir Sloane (The Time Device)
Take note that the solutions to these riddles usually lead players to other levels in the game, so finding them is just the beginning. Once all of these riddles have been solved, and their challenges beaten, then the original PS1 version of MediEvil will be unlocked in the main menu of the remaster.