New maps and several noteworthy gameplay additions are being introduced as part of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 1. Described by Activision and Infinity Ward as the “biggest free content drop in Call of Duty history,” Season 1 notably brings back fan-favorite Modern Warfare maps Vacant and Crash. Those are but two from a total of six new maps and three new multiplayer modes being introduced in the latest update. Keep reading to learn about about the new maps, weapons, gameplay modes, and changes being offered in Modern Warfare Season 1.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare | New Season 1 Maps and Changes
Judging by the buzz generated from the game’s player base, the most exciting new addition to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 1 is the Vacant map. Returning from the previous Modern Warfare release, Vacant is a cramped, tense interior office level perfect for hair-trigger reflexes. Players will also note the addition of classic map Shipment as well as Crash, another fan-favorite map with open-city fighting breaking out around the ruined remains of a downed helicopter.
Vacant, Crash, and Shipment only make up half of the new maps being added to Season 1 so far. The others—Port, Cargo, and Atrium—are focused around Ground War and Gunfight modes. On top of these, the developers have also hinted that players should look forward to even more multiplayer maps being added as Season 1 continues.
Modern Warfare Season 1 | New gameplay modes
Of course, the changes include more than a few new maps. In particular, players will find a host of new gameplay modes. Here’s the scoop on the modes announced so far, pulled straight from the official Activision website:
- Reinforce (Multiplayer Mode): A hybrid of Dom and S&D, a single-life mode with both teams competing for control of three flags.
- On Site Procurement (O.S.P.) (Gunfight Mode): A tactically rich 2v2 mode with a twist: Begin with just your fists, and gather equipment as the match progresses.
- Infected (Multiplayer Mode): It’s hunt or be hunted in this survival party game mode!
Modern Warfare Season 1 | New Spec Ops, Battle Pass Rewards, and Guns
On top of the new maps and multiplayer game modes, Activision and Infinity Ward are also introducing new Special Ops Experiences into Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 1. Many of these challenges should feel familiar to those who played the original Modern Warfare release, especially those fond of the classic Spec Ops mode.
The new Special Ops Experiences in Season 1 include:
- Bomb Squad (Special Ops Experience): Forces still loyal to Barkov have planted explosives around the city of Al-Raab. You’re here to defuse the situation.
- Grounded (Special Ops Experience): Enemies have seized Barkov’s former airbase. Engage and eliminate them.
- Pitch Black (Special Ops Experience): Infiltrate Barkov’s former estate and recover all required intel before an exfill in a Tactical Rover.
- Just Reward (Special Ops Experience): Your squad targets the head of an enemy financial operation, hacking his data centers, and gaining intel.
Season 1 also brings a couple of new guns into the mix. From what we’ve gathered so far, Season 1 will introduce two new weapons: The Ram-7 and the Holger-26. The Ram-7 is described as a “fully automatic bullpup Assault Rifle” with a selection of different accessory rails, while the Holger-26 is a light machine gun variant of the Holger rifle bolstered by a spacious drum magazine.
Finally, Modern Warfare Season 1 will include a host of free content through the game’s Battle Pass. The developers have indicated that many of the rewards will be available to all owners of the game, though it’s assumed that some of the nicer rewards will be specifically for paying Battle Pass customers.
All of the new maps, guns, gameplay modes, and changes kick off alongside the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 1 on December 3, 2019.