Square Enix’s Dragon Quest mobile game has been enjoying success in Japan for a while now, but recently its horizons expanded beyond the Land of the Rising Sun. You can download Dragon Quest of the Stars from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store right now in order to play the JRPG on compatible iOS and Android devices, respectively. There’s a barrier to entry for some, however, which comes in the form of the Dragon Quest of the Stars “A connection error has occurred” message pop-up.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through what you need to do in order to set things straight and start experiencing the iconic series on mobile.
How to fix Dragon Quest of the Stars “A connection error has occurred”
After successfully installing the Dragon Quest of the Stars game application on your mobile device, it’s possible to encounter an in-game error pop-up that reads as follows:
A connection error has occurred.
Please check your connection and try again.
At this point in time, you’ll be presented with two separate button prompts: “Return to Title Screen” and “Retry.” Tap the latter, and if the error persists you’re most likely experiencing a connection problem. This needs to be addressed ASAP, as Dragon Quest of the Stars cannot be played offline in any capacity.
How do you fix “A connection error has occurred” in Dragon Quest of the Stars?
- Navigate to the settings menu on your mobile device and check that Wi-Fi is enabled
- If it’s enabled, ensure that you’re connected to the appropriate network
- Should everything look normal despite the problem, try resetting the router and/or connecting to a different Wi-Fi network
- Boot up the game and see if you can proceed without encountering the error
- If the issue persists, navigate back to the settings menu and disable Wi-Fi
- Provided your device supports it, you should automatically switch to a data connection
- Load up Dragon Quest of the Stars and see if you can play using data
- Be mindful of any potential charges this may incur
If you’ve tried all of the above and you’re still getting the Dragon Quest of the Stars “A connection error has occurred” pop-up, then the problem almost certainly doesn’t lie with you. Square Enix could be experiencing server issues, so it’s a good idea to be patient and check the @DragonQuest Twitter account for any status updates.