If your PlayStation 4 console sounds like a jet engine, you’re probably wondering “Why is my PS4 so loud?” or “Why is my PS4 Pro so loud?” This noise most often comes from the cooling fan, but what’s causing it to kick into overdrive? Keep scrolling as we detail how to make the PS4 quieter so that you can game in peace and/or actually hear the TV.
Why is my PS4 so loud? | How to fix noisy fan
The cooling fan is an important part of any gaming hardware, preventing the internal components from overheating and failing. So, the noisy PS4 fan does an important job but there are ways to make it quieter while maintaining the necessary airflow. If your PlayStation 4 is particularly old this “defect” can come with general wear and tear, which is worth keeping in mind as you perform these troubleshooting steps.
How to fix loud PS4 fan noise
- Remove any disc and all cables from your PS4 console.
- Lift and dust your PlayStation 4 system using a soft cloth, making sure to remove any dirt from the vents and inputs.
- If possible, spray compressed air into the vents and ports. (Note: Don’t blow into them, as saliva can cause components to rust.)
- Should your console live in a confined space, consider moving it to a location with better circulation.
- It’s also worth considering standing the console vertically, which allows for greater airflow.
- Whether you move the PS4 or put it back in the same spot, ensure that the surface you set it down on is clean and dust-free.
Should your PS4 console still have a loud fan after following the above steps, it may be due to general wear and tear. We wouldn’t recommend opening the console up for a deep clean or to see exactly what’s going on if the machine is in warranty or you don’t know what you’re doing.
It is also worth noting, however, that some of the more graphically intense PlayStation 4 games push the console to its limits. As a result, you can expect the PS4 to be somewhat louder than usual when playing games like The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.