Is Animal Crossing 2 player? If you’d like to play an Animal Crossing: New Horizons 2 player mode, you’re going to need to share your Joy-Cons with a friend — but that’s not the only way to play this game.
Much like previous games in the franchise, Animal Crossing: New Horizons has a multiplayer component. This is a very casual game, so you won’t have to worry about being super competitive with a friend — but there’s a lot that you can do together if you want to!
Is Animal Crossing 2 player?
Yes, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is 2-player. People can play together with either local multiplayer or online multiplayer, so you certainly have a lot of options available to you.
What are the player limits for Animal Crossing: New Horizons multiplayer?
- 4 people living on the same island can play on the same console. (8 people can live on one island, and each Nintendo Switch can only have one island.)
- 8 people can play together via wireless multiplayer.
- 8 people can play together via online multiplayer.
How does Animal Crossing 2 player work?
Now that we know the answer to “Is Animal Crossing 2-player?,” how does it work? That depends on what style of multiplayer you’re using.
If you’re playing local multiplayer on the same console, there are some limitations. You can’t do everything that you might want to do.
How does Animal Crossing local multiplayer work?
- One player is the “leader” at a time.
- Only the leader can open an inventory.
- Items gathered by the 1–3 non-leader players go into the recycle bin in Resident Services.
- Players can freely switch to the leader role at any time.
- Anyone who falls out of the leader’s camera range will be teleported to the leader.
Multiple consoles using local wireless multiplayer and online multiplayer essentially work the same. If someone is just a visitor on your island, they can’t do very much — all they can do is pick up items, pick flowers, and a handful of limited other activities.
If a player is marked as a “Friend,” not much changes; they’re just added to a convenient list. “Best Friends,” however, gain permission to use shovels and axes on your island. In all cases, nobody can pick up placed items during a multiplayer session, not even yourself — you’ll have to make everyone leave and redecorate in single-player.