The Horizon Zero Dawn PC 1.01 Update patch notes have arrived, fixing many of the critical bugs and crashes that players have been dealing with on the platform. The developers’ work is only beginning, though — while the new changes and fixes are nice, they admit that there’s still a lot of work to do going forward.
Horizon Zero Dawn PC 1.01 Update Patch Notes | Patch Highlights
Most of the Horizon Zero Dawn PC 1.01 Update patch notes are focused on various bug fixes in the game, largely centered on crashes that players have been dealing with. Unfortunately, some of these problems have proved to be elusive. For example, Patch 1.01 fixes “a few” of these startup crashes, but some of them are still going on without a fix in place.
One of the key additions in this patch is improvements to diagnostic data collection for the developers. This should help them pin down what’s causing all of the crashes and hang-ups that are currently affecting some PC players.
As for actual fixes, a game crash caused by the SteamUI not initializing properly on startup has been remedied. A problem with Windows or Steam profile names with special characters prevented players from saving their game and has been fixed, although the devs concede that there are still other issues with save games under investigation. The same “names with special characters” issue also affected saving screenshots in Photo mode and has not been resolved.
One gameplay issue has also been resolved; some players couldn’t use Concentration and other slowdown mechanics properly. There have been a handful of other changes, but most of this patch is laying the groundwork for fixing some of the more serious problems — go ahead and read the full Horizon Zero Dawn PC 1.01 Update patch notes to see what the devs are doing about fixing the worst crashes and bugs in the future!
Horizon Zero Dawn PC 1.01 Update Patch Notes | Full List
In addition to the issues identified previously, we’re working on a number of high-priority issues:
- Some players are experiencing startup crashes. Patch 1.01 fixes a few, but not all, of these crashes.
- Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
- Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering not working, 4K not displaying correctly, or HDR not working correctly.
- Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
- We’re aware of and continue to investigate all issues in this list on Reddit as well. Thank you to u/EvilMonkeySlayer
for compiling this for us.
- Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the SteamUI didn’t initialize properly on startup.
Functionality Issue Fixes
- Fixed an issue where Concentration and other slowdown mechanics wouldn’t work for everyone.
- Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving the game. We are still investigating other saved game issues as well.
- Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving screenshots in Photo Mode.
- Added improved diagnostic data collection when submitting a crash report.
- Fixed several backend issues.
- Fixed a video corruption issue for specific hardware. We’re continuing to look at other hardware configurations as well.