When it runs well, Marvel’s Avengers can feel great. Unfortunately, players can be hit with lag and stutter across PS4, Xbox One, and PC. After beating the game, while tweaking settings as we went, we can now bestow some tips on how to handle these technical hiccups. Here are our Marvel’s Avengers lag and stutter fixes.
How to fix Marvel’s Avengers stutter
The two main factors for fixing Marvel’s Avengers lag and stutter are down to hardware and network.
How to fix PS4 stutter and low frame-rate
- If you’re playing on PS4 Pro, you’ll want to switch between the “4K” and “Performance” modes in the options menu.
- You might prefer the consistent frame-rate of “4K” over the higher, but inconsistent frame-rate of “Performance.”
- If you have a base PS4, then I’m afraid to say that the aging hardware has a rough time keeping up with Marvel’s Avengers.
- You can try to minimize the effects of jarring stutters by turning down the game’s Camera Shake in the options menu.
How to fix Xbox One stutter and low frame-rate
- If you’re playing on the powerful Xbox One X, you may still run into some performance issues.
- Opting for the game’s “4K” mode in the options menu can help stabilize the frame-rate. “Performance” may give you a higher average FPS, but the wildly changing frame-rate can make for an uncomfortable gameplay experience.
- If you’re on base Xbox One, then unfortunately the older hardware is going to have a tougher time running the new Marvel’s Avengers game.
- Though you can’t tweak any performance settings, you can still head to the options menu to disable Camera Shake.
How to fix PC stutter and low frame-rate
- Ensure you have the latest drivers installed for your Nvidia or AMD graphics card.
- Ensure the latest game patch has been installed.
- Play the game in Fullscreen mode.
- Ensure background apps are closed so that the game can use as many resources as possible.
- To optimize game settings for performance, we’d recommend turning them all to “Low” or “Off” and then enabling them one at a time. You should be able to tell which settings impact performance the most.
- Lowering resolution is a good idea for quick performance boosts. If you were playing at 4K, try dipping down to 1440p. If you were at 1440, then 1080p will offer a smoother experience.
- If you’re frame-rate is wildly inconsistent, it can sometimes help to limit FPS in-game or by using an app like MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics.
How to fix Marvel’s Avengers lag
If you’re lagging in Marvel’s Avengers on PC, PS4, or Xbox One, there are a few general troubleshooting tips you can try:
- Ensure you have no downloads running in the background.
- Particularly on PC, where multiplayer gaming platforms can be installing new updates, you’ll want to make sure that any downloads are paused.
- If you’re on console, you’ll want to check other devices in your home to ensure they aren’t sucking up all the bandwidth. Pause any downloads to see if that fixes the lag.
- Try joining a different game.
- If you’ve joined a party for co-op, you may want to exit out and try matchmaking again to find another group.
- When playing with friends and suffering from lag, it can be a good idea to swap the person hosting the party to potentially get a better connection.
- Check your internet connection.
- Try to make sure you have a stable internet connection.
- If you’re experiencing issues across multiple devices, then you may want to try restarting your router.
Once you’ve sorted your performance issues, be sure to also check out our other Marvel’s Avengers guides, which include tips on how to fix lag and stutter, potential missable items that you’ll want to watch out for, and the complete mission list.