Yakuza 0 on PC recommends a controller so much that it tells you, “Real Yakuza use a gamepad.” Unfortunately, there’s a glitch with gamepads in Yakuza 0, which will prevent the game from detecting button inputs, even though it detects that one is connected. Fortunately, there’s a fix for this bug that’s not too hard to pull off.
How to fix controller not working in Yakuza 0 PC
You may be confused when you launch Yakuza 0 with your Xbox One controller (or other Xinput device) and get no response when you press a button. It’s obvious that the game detects your gamepad because there’ll be Xbox button prompts on the main menu instead of the keyboard keys it shows when a controller isn’t connected. However, try as you might, you’ll be unable to get it to work through the game’s settings.
There’s an issue with how Yakuza 0 detects gamepads, so you’ll need to disable all of the controllers connected to your PC save for the one you want to use to play the game. First, try to unplug all the USB controllers and dongles except for the one you want to use and restart the game (this includes any virtual controllers). If it still doesn’t work, follow the steps below.
- To get started, head to Control Panel.
- Find the controller you’re using, right-click, and select “Game controller settings.
- Here, you’ll be able to see all of the controllers currently connect to your PC. Take note of the one that represents the gamepad you want to use to play Yakuza 0.
- Unfortunately, you can’t disable gamepads from here. So, leave the Game controller settings window open and head over to Device Manager.
- Here, click the drop-down by “Human Interface Devices.”
- Look for anything labeled “HID-Compliant Game Controller.”
- Since most of these are generic drivers, it’s hard to tell which device they control sometimes. You’ll need to disable them one at a time and check against the Game controller settings screen to make sure you’ve turned off the right ones.
- When the only entry in the Game controller settings menu is the gamepad you want to use with Yakuza 0, try to relaunch the game.
At this point, your controller should work. If not, double-check that you have the right controller as the only one enabled on the system.