For those wondering “Why can’t I give gifts to villagers in Animal Crossing: New Horizons?”, this guide has all the answers. Sometimes the game won’t let players give presents to animal villagers, which can be a pain when looking to become best friends and get those coveted villager photos. Thankfully, this Game Revolution guide provides the need-to-know information on why players can’t always give presents to their AC:NH villagers.
Why you can’t give gifts to villagers in Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
Giving gifts to villagers is a great way to boost a relationship, eventually leading to becoming best friends. Once a player is best friends with a villager, they are able to get that villager’s photo, which is one of the most sought-after items in the game. Since giving gifts provides such a big boost to friendships, it can be annoying to find the “Give a gift” option missing from the chat selection menu.
Players can’t give gifts to villagers in Animal Crossing: New Horizons for a number of reasons:
- The villager has already received a gift.
- Each day, players can give their villagers a gift each.
- Once a villager has received a present, they won’t accept another until the following day.
- The villager is taking part in a special event.
- On days where there is a special event, like a fishing tournament, villagers’ dialogue will be focused around discussing the event.
- The villager is blocked from doing a “Receive gift” animation.
- If a villager isn’t standing, they will be unable to accept a gift.
- Players will need to wait until a villager is standing and then interact with them to offer a gift.
- The player isn’t good enough friends with the villager.
- It takes a few days from their arrival for a villager to begin accepting gifts from the player. Talk with them each day until the option becomes available.
- Alternatively, villagers can stop having the “Give a gift” dialogue option if the player has ignored them for a long time.
Best gifts for villagers in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Knowing the best gifts for villagers in Animal Crossing: New Horizons is key to maximizing the impact of presents. Give a villager a present that they love to benefit from a big friendship bonus. If you don’t want to keep track of each villager’s personal tastes, there are some gifts that all villagers like.
Best gifts for all villagers in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Iron Wall Lamp
- Combining clay and iron to make an Iron Wall Lamp is a great way of boosting friendships with all types of villagers.
- Most villagers won’t use the Iron Wall Lamp in their homes.
- Identified fossils
- Though they become useless to Blathers, identified fossils make for one of the best gifts for all villagers.
- Identified fossils will not be used in villagers’ homes.
- Foreign fruit
- Bundles of foreign fruits that aren’t native to the player island are also great gifts.
Be sure to wrap gifts in wrapping paper before giving them to villagers in order to gain bonus friendship points. You can get wrapping paper by going to the store cupboard in Nook’s Cranny.
Though players can now give candy to their villagers, waiting until Halloween (October 31) will maximize the rewards. Read up on the recent Animal Crossing: New Horizons update to learn more about pumpkin farming, candy, and Jack.
For players who are still in a giving mood after treating villagers to Iron Wall Lamps, fossils, and/or fruit, Franklin and Jingle’s imminent arrival means more opportunities to give gifts are just around the corner.
Truly hardcore AC:NH fans will be eager to learn that the Animal Crossing Nintendo Switch is coming to local retailers. Get the latest information here.