Microsoft’s next-generation Xbox Series X|S consoles, like most new hardware, aren’t without their launch issues. Although the launch line-up of games is somewhat underwhelming by most accounts, the new consoles boast plenty of upgraded Xbox One games. The problem is, many users that attempt to play upgraded next-gen versions of games run into the “Something went wrong. 0x800708ca” error message. Fortunately, there’s an easy Xbox Series X|S 0x800708ca error fix.
Xbox Series X|S 0x800708ca Error Fix | Can’t play next-gen versions
Xbox One owners that upgrade to Xbox Series X|S will most likely want to transfer their existing console data for a seamless transition. After performing a network transfer or using an external HDD (which can bring its own problems), downloadable updates will become available for any games with next-gen upgrades. After downloading these upgrades for titles like Gears 5 and Mortal Kombat 11, plus, of course, copying them to the internal SSD, they should be good to go. Oftentimes that isn’t the case, however, and users get the Xbox Series X|S 0x800708ca error code instead.
There’s an effective workaround for the “Something went wrong. 0x800708ca” error message on Xbox Series X|S; the easy 0x800708ca fix is navigating to Settings > System > Console info > Reset console > Reset and Keep My Games & Apps. Failing that, uninstalling and reinstalling the problem game should also solve the issue.
How to fix error code 0x800708ca on Xbox Series X|S
- Boot up the Xbox Series X|S console.
- Press the Xbox button, scroll all the way to the right, then choose the “Settings” option.
- Navigate to the “System” tab, then select the “Console info” option.
- Select “Reset console” and then the “Reset and Keep My Games & Apps” option.
- If the game still won’t launch, navigate to the “My games & apps” screen.
- Highlight the game, press start, then choose the “Uninstall” option.
- Scroll down to the “Full library” tab, then select the “All owned games” listing.
- Locate and select the game to reinstall, then hit the “Install all” button.
Microsoft is aware of the Xbox Series X|S 0x800708ca error and working to implement a permanent fix. Hopefully, it won’t be long before there’s an Xbox Series X|S system update to fix next-gen game upgrades.