NX Is Not The Wii U’s Successor, Says Nintendo CEO

Nintendo CEO Tatsumi Kimishima has expressed that the company's upcoming console, codenamed NX, should seen as "neither a successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS," as translated by NeoGAF's GSR. This reiterates a prior statement made by the late Satoru Iwata in a earnings report made last year.

Kimishima admits that the release of the NX, slated for a March 2017 release, will slow sales of the Wii U, but remains confident that the 3DS will not be as largely impacted given the release of Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Kimishima is optimistic that the NX will make up this lost ground, but knows that it will be "difficult unless we foster a strong interest in the NX in our costumers."

That said, the NX will not make an appearance at E3 2016. In its current plans, Nintendo will instead only be highlighting The Legend of Zelda for Wii U at the convention, with the typical E3 Nintendo Direct replaced by a Treehouse Live livestream on Tuesday, June 14, at 9am PST featuring only The Legend of Zelda as well.

Let's hope that Nintendo reveals the NX before the year is over, either at PAX or through its own special event, well before the console's release. How do you think Nintendo will reveal the NX?