"And let your homies know who done it, cause when it comes to this gangster shit,
you mother fuckers know who run it."
By most reports, the game market is shrinking worldwide. If anyone needed any reassurance of the selling power of Dragon Quest in Japan, however, they just got it. Within its first week, Dragon Quest sold over 800,000, and according to Famitsu, has now gone on to sell a million copies in its homeland, making it the fastest 3DS game to hit a million. That means it outpaced Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Brothers 2, Animal Crossing, and Monster Hunter Tri-G. Now we'll just have to see if it reaches the two million mark more quickly than Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It probably will, but you never know.
Here's the full Media Create chart:
1. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII – 827,922
2. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 81,559
3. [3DS] Fantasy Life – 13,342
4. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 11,685
5. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – 10,5236.
6. [WII] Taiko Drum Master: Super Deluxe Edition – 8,859
7. [PSV] Demon Gaze – 8,170
8. [PS3] DmC: Devil May Cry – 7,476
9. [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Chibi Dragon – 7,459
10. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! – 7,383
11. [PSV] Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece – 7,312
12. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star – 6,452
13. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone – 6,121
14. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U – 5,857
15. [PSP] Heroes' Vs – 5,693
16. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 5,.674
17. [PS3] Hitman: Absolution – 5,500
18. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II Dubbed Edition – 4,983
19. [WIU] Nintendo Land – 4,486
20. [PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 – 4,314
The hardware charts have, as you may have assumed, 3DS sales shooting through the roof while its supposed rival in this handheld generation basically doesn't exist. Wii-U, meanwhile, is locked in a deadly staredown with 10k and fighting to keep its head above water.
3DS – 127,695
PS3 – 17,004
WiiU – 12,185
PSP – 11,056
PSV – 8,762
Wii – 1,945
360 – 593
Expect the 3DS and Dragon Quest VII to remain at the tops of their respective charts next week. I only point this out because the same game topping the charts for multiple weeks is very unusual, and generally reserved for the biggest of the big franchises. Lately, however, 3DS games are making it look easy.