More Reviews
REVIEWS Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Rebor Review
Just a small update to the existing review for the PS4 version of the game. What are the benefits to upgrading? Check here to see. ~Ed. Nick Tan

Cut the Rope: Triple Treat Review
Cutting the ropes has never before made gravity so… pricey.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sniper Elite 3 Preview
Sending bullets through the hate.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Release date: Out Now

Trials Fusion
Release date: Out Now

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Release date: 04/29/14

Bound by Flame
Release date: 05/09/14


LATEST FEATURES 4 PAX Indie Titles to Look Out For
We've given attention to all the higher profile games at PAX EAST, but now it's time for the indies.

Ouya's Best Games Coming to the Platform
The Kickstarter console is slowly establishing itself with a couple of creative gems on the way.
 
Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137
So much more than war...
By shandog137
Posted on 04/18/14
The recent blog, Peace in the Era of Call of Duty  really made me think about war games that dig deeper than simply a kill streak reward. The first game that came to mind was Spec-Ops: The Line and although I haven’t played it, I began to wonder if it did the war genre as...

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mass Effect 3 |OT|
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
maca2kx
The Hammer of Ban


Joined: 24 Jul 2002
Posts: 10783

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the page view whore I am here is another blog about Mass Effect. So read it, you know you want to.
_________________
Stuff to read
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty


Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 9498

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished this tonight. I have a ton of different things bouncing around in my head. I really liked this and I thought it was a great way to close out the series. I'll probably write more tomorrow, but for now I'll just say this.


Least satisfying Judeo-Christian reach around ever.

Still 9/10 if not 10/10. Such an improvement over 2 and...I need to go to sleep.
_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
And the comments for it were just so delicious. All of them. If I was a Red Lantern, the anger there would power my power battery for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danielrbischoff



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 8793

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, definitely an improvement over two.
_________________
http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/women-who-rock-modern-gaming
http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/gr-strips-5-he-makes-his-own-luck-24633
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/recovery-search-and-rescue
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty


Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 9498

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm bored and I feel like being wordy and semi-coherent.

I really liked ME3! Sure the ending was kind of a let down. I don't know what's worse color palette swapping out the endings and using the same set pieces with minor tweaks, or just the semi-cheese factor. I really wish that Bioware had just ended it for me. I had some big DX:HR flashbacks...the only difference being that it took me 30 minutes each time to see the different ending. I also don't know what was worse the slow walk in ME3 or button mashing Snake through the microwave relay in MGS4. Oh, ummm, SPOILERS! I did like the additional kill ending scene though. Mostly I just didn't enjoy the J-C archetype that they tried to cap it off with. Don't get me wrong, the archetypes used elsewhere of playing God, redemption and atonement are great (see Mordin, Thane, Tali), but it was just...meh. Very spoon-fed.

I did love the controls in this game though. A definite step forward. And I loved the ability to have a crazy variety of weapons, mods, armor, etc. The weapons looked cool, sounded amazing and the impacts looked amazing. Nothing like a grenade or Carnage impact. Gooooooo! My one gripe would be the warp blocking. I had a ton of Overload in my team, but only Liara could Warp. That blew. I guess ME2 spoiled me in that one aspect. You had a serious bevy of options on crew members. And speaking of crew, I wish they just made James a Krogan...I mean, that's essentially what he is, right? I didn't mind FPJ, I felt like he did a better job than whoever voiced Kaidan. And Kaidan! Just when I would start to like the guy, he'd say something stupid like "it's just this...war...it's so....war-like...you know". Spoiler alert, Canadians are tards in the future too. Wink But seriously, I didn't enjoy my crew as much this time around. I mostly mained my two techs and Liara.

The DLC was really well-done and I'm glad I got it. Javik added such a different perspective to the game and I can't imagine not having him on board. It's too bad I had to pay for him, but I got Chobot for free, is there any way I could make that trade? I want to roll a ManShep just so I can sleep with her and then kick her off my ship. And why couldn't Zaeed come aboard instead of sitting his rear in D2? That would have improved the game phenomenally.

But mostly, I really loved the story and the pacing. I never felt rushed in ME2, I never felt like it was imperative that I skip going on the side quests and just get down to the nitty-gritty. Not the same here. Your decisions may not have had a huge impact on the end scene, but they definitely impacted the moment and the end battle. A ton of the storylines were impactful and I felt like they touched each character from past games well. There were a couple of great tearjerker moments. It was hard to say goodbye to the series, harder to say good bye to my crew. I look forward to the DLC ending fix.

The way I look at it, they had to close a series and that sucks no matter what. Especially when you have an acclaimed product. I remember how I felt when HPotter ended or Scrubs even. The bar is set pretty high, there's a ton of lines to tie off, and as a writer you have to answer questions that need answering and decide which ones to just leave to speculation. That's a hard job and I'm not envious of the task.

That being said, playing a hardline Renegade was hard. I felt like Pandora, releasing monster after monster praying that I would find Hope at the bottom of the box. Good game.
_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
And the comments for it were just so delicious. All of them. If I was a Red Lantern, the anger there would power my power battery for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spartan317



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Posts: 595

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a double post worthy of the archives...
_________________
Icepick wrote:
Once she let me stick it in her ass I left her, I accomplished what I wanted
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty


Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 9498

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, fixed.
_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
And the comments for it were just so delicious. All of them. If I was a Red Lantern, the anger there would power my power battery for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy


Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 11461

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am in the minority, the pacing was kind of off because of the games mood. It was somber without a chance for catharsis, which kind of made it difficult to play.

Still, the best trilogy in years...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
used44



Joined: 08 Mar 2002
Posts: 20390

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so hard to for me to separate criticizing the third game and "the trilogy." It's all one big awesome game for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty


Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 9498

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still really need to experience ME1 in a non-comic book manner.
_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
And the comments for it were just so delicious. All of them. If I was a Red Lantern, the anger there would power my power battery for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty


Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 9498

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS!

I can definitely see your point, Links. To be honest, I skipped a lot of stuff because I felt like I needed to get to that fight. That's why the scene with Anderson hit me so hard. Not once had my Shep stopped to really have the weight fully settle. And that was the moment where she finally could.

Very excited to play my bleeding heart Paragon who will bend over backwards for everyone. But not Jacob, dude's a brick.
_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
And the comments for it were just so delicious. All of them. If I was a Red Lantern, the anger there would power my power battery for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danielrbischoff



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 8793

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck you Jacob. You suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty


Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 9498

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IKR?

Despite having a crazy, twisted Loyalty mission, I just find him to be bland.
_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
And the comments for it were just so delicious. All of them. If I was a Red Lantern, the anger there would power my power battery for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danielrbischoff



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 8793

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't imagine a worse character. First of all, he's human. Who gives a shit about human's in the ME universe. Second of all, he's got daddy issues which is totally played out in games anymore.

Third, he looks like Kanye West. Crimes against humanity, amirite?

Who else would play as a non-human race in a heart beat? That's why the unlocks in multiplayer are all aliens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty


Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 9498

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with the Rebellion pack. You get some Reaperized Illusive Man Humans.

I would never be anything but Drell...I just love how they sound.
_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
And the comments for it were just so delicious. All of them. If I was a Red Lantern, the anger there would power my power battery for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 15392

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
Second of all, he's got daddy issues which is totally played out in Mass Effect.

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, one of the many things that I liked about ME1 and dislike about 2 is that humans become the single greatest species in the galaxy in every aspect. Like, they're called the most unique species and a bunch of other bullshit. Rather than flesh out the other species, they leave them as entire planets in the same hat and move on.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
kingg5
A True Patriot


Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 2521

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I played through it to see the new endings and for those who complained about the old ones I found I fourth ending which makes those who bitched try that and see what was better. When you get to choose which ending to pick just shoot the little boy ghost. I was so pissed when I accidently did that and had to start over.
_________________
In the words of CCR."Hail to the chief"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
spartan317



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Posts: 595

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingg5 wrote:
So I played through it to see the new endings and for those who complained about the old ones I found I fourth ending which makes those who bitched try that and see what was better. When you get to choose which ending to pick just shoot the little boy ghost. I was so pissed when I accidently did that and had to start over.


SO FUCKING PISSED... Had a mini ragequit because of it...
_________________
Icepick wrote:
Once she let me stick it in her ass I left her, I accomplished what I wanted
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty


Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 9498

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that they didn't back off of their endings really. They just fleshed them out and better explained them. Now where's my DLC!!!!
_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
And the comments for it were just so delicious. All of them. If I was a Red Lantern, the anger there would power my power battery for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy


Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 11461

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick take on these endings, so spoilers if you didn't see them yet.

Regarding the refusal ending, it is perhaps one of the best ones now, because of the implications it brings.

Let me explain. If Shepard refuses everything, rejecting the choice and not adhering to change, he is still a hero, along with Liara and the rest of the crew, because of his choice. Not a hero to us, he lost in the end, he was destroyed and humanity, and all of the races in Mass Effect, are effectively destroyed by the reapers. But by preparing the next cycle, the next cycle would venerate his decisions and actions as something important. It means that the next cycle would thrive, would break the chain all because of Liara, because of Shepard, and because they decided to make a choice that would favor them.

So in effect, Shepard becomes a savior then more than ever, giving the next cycle hope.

The new control ending is a tad sinister in its design, but fits like a glove for both paragon and renegade. Destroy is all about rebuilding and remembering, but I always feel that is the weakest ending because the status quo is kept, whereas control has Shepard acting as GOD in a way.

Synthesis is perhaps the most interesting, because it implies a happy ending for all, making it possibly the most disney-like of the endings in terms of everyone coming out unscathed in the end, except Shepard, of course, who made the call to sacrifice himself. But because of the way people are, I would bet after a while people would fight again, because that is what nature is. We have evolved and grown as a species, but it doesn't mean were going to be peaceful for all time.

I really can't wait to see what Mass Effect does after this, because if there is a new game, it would be interested to see which of the endings is official canon, kinda like how Dragon Age II has a default ending to Origins being the Warden survived the game and did the ritual with Morrigan.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 3457

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
Longo_2_guns wrote:
Closed because of diagrams in French.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum