There is an Overwatch could not locate resources error that is causing trouble for players on the PC version of the game specifically. This issue occurs when the player attempts to launch the game’s app, resulting in an error that prevents the game from being played at all in any way, shape, or form.
The Overwatch could not locate resources error only affects the game itself and not the Battle.net app, too. Many users are reporting this problem right now and it is one that happens occasionally for users. Let’s go over why this update happens, what it means, and what you can do to fix it right now.
Overwatch Could Not Locate Resources Explained
It is currently unknown what exactly causes the Overwatch could not locate resources error. However, it does seem to happen around the release of major updates or new characters, which could be the reason behind it right now as Brigitte is set to release globally outside of the PTR soon.
Regardless of the reason behind it, the Overwatch could not locate resources error can thankfully be fixed without help from Blizzard. Here’s the first method you can use to fix it.
How to Fix the Overwatch Could Not Locate Resources Error
To fix the Overwatch could not locate resources error, try this:
- Open the Battle.net Blizzard App
- While open, go to your Overwatch folder
- Move both the Launcher.exe and Overwatch.exe files to another folder or to Recycle bin
- Return to App
- Under options for the game, select “scan and repair”
- Relaunch game and see if works
This method doesn’t seem to fix the problem for everyone, though. If that’s the case, try this second method for fixing the Overwatch could not locate resources error:
- Make sure Battle.net is closed
- Move the game’s folder to desktop
- Open Battle.net App and attempt to reinstall game
- Wait about 30 seconds or until it switches from “fetching” to “downloading”
- Pause the download
- Close out of Battle.net
- Move the game’s folder from desktop to original spot
- Delete the Launcher.exe and Overwatch.exe files
- Relaunch Battle.net and unpause the game download
- Download should jump to 100 percent complete and game should be playable again
If this method doesn’t work either, your last option is to simply uninstall the game entirely and reinstall it once more. Unfortunately, this method takes longer but should fix the Overwatch could not locate resources error.
Credit: Official Forums