The Tyrant, also called Mr. X by fans, will chase you at certain points in Resident Evil 2 remake. Mr. X can show up with little warning, and your first instinct will likely be to run and hide as quickly as possible. After a few minutes of cat and mouse, though, you’re probably wondering when the Tyrant will stop chasing you or if you can even hide from him in Resident Evil 2.
There are ways to keep your distance from Mr. X while he’s chasing you in RE2, though the game doesn’t really give you any clues on how to do this. We’ll show you how to hide from the Tyrant and at what point he stops chasing you each time.
Can I hide from the Tyrant (Mr. X) in Resident Evil 2 remake?
At certain points in each character’s story, the Tyrant will begin chasing you. The first thing you need to keep in mind is that he can’t be killed. You can knock him down with enough gunfire, but after a short time he’ll stand back up and resume following you.
There is a way to slow his pursuit, however. If you run far enough outside of his visual range, he’ll lose track of you and start searching for you. When he’s in this mode, he’ll gradually home in on your position, but you can slow his ability to do so.
When he’s trying to track you down outside of visual range, Mr. X relies on his hearing. He’ll eventually catch up to you if you stay in one spot regardless of what you do, but the more noise you make, the faster he’ll be drawn to you. Things like gunshots, slamming open doors, running, and noise from other enemies all make noise that will help him home in on you.
So, you can’t hide from the Tyrant, but you can slow him down by making as little noise as possible.
When does the Tyrant (Mr. X) stop chasing you in Resident Evil 2 remake?
When you’re running from Mr. X, it can seem like it takes forever for him to stop chasing you finally. However, if you know where you’re going, you can keep the chases to a minimum.
There are some major spoilers below, so don’t read on unless you want to know the exact triggers for the beginning and end of each Tyrant chase sequence.
- Starts: (2nd Run Only) When you enter the STARS Office hallway.
- Ends: When you take the elevator down to the Underground Facility.
- Starts: When you approach the helicopter after dousing the flames.
- Ends: When you return to the basement after collecting the Electric Part from the Clock Tower.
- Starts: (Leon Only) When you pick up the Parking Pass from Ben’s cell.
- Ends: When you return to the Parking Garage.
- Starts: (Leon Only) Right after you catch up to Annette the first time as Ada.
- Ends: As soon as you disable the fan in the room where Annette was and jump through.
- Starts: (Leon Only) When you collect the Level 3 pass after spraying the Herbicide in the lab.
- Ends: When you return to the Main Shaft.
- Starts: (Leon Only) As you’re heading to the escape train.
- Ends: Following a cutscene after you run from him for about two rooms.
As you can see, Leon by far has the most trouble with Mr. X. The Tyrant stays with him for most of the game, while G-Birkin mostly stalks Claire. No matter how stressed you get when Mr. X is chasing you, though, keep your eyes on the prize and he’ll eventually give up.