The Overwatch 2.73 update patch notes have been published by developer Blizzard Entertainment. The new Overwatch update dated for August 27, 2019 is currently rolling out to PS4 systems. The main highlights of this new update are enabling hotfixing, where the developer can push out minor updates without the game needing to be restarted, and also “Shared Install,” which allows the Live Overwatch client and PTR to share storage. Read on for the full list of Overwatch 2.73 update patch notes.
Overwatch 2.73 Update Patch Notes | Highlights
The first highlight of the Overwatch 2.73 update patch notes is the introduction of hotfixing. This allows Blizzard to roll out updates to the game without the need for players to restart. This should lead to a smoother player experience, as well as the ability for Blizzard to issue minor updates without needing to jump through the hoops that Sony and Microsoft have in place for major client-side updates.
If you’re one of the many Overwatch players who have both the Live game and PTR installed, you may be frustrated with just how much room they both take up. This is especially true for those who are still using the 500 GB PS4! Thankfully, the Overwatch 2.73 update patch notes detail an improvement that will help lower the amount of disk space that the game and its PTR demand.
Once the new update has been installed, Overwatch Live and PTR will share storage. This should mean a reduction in the disk space required to install and update multiple clients. The effects of this change will be seen immediately, with the latest PTR client update only taking up an additional ~1.2 GB of storage.
An additional bonus here is that the Overwatch League Replay Viewer also supports this shared installation with the PTR and Live clients.
Overwatch 2.73 Update Patch Notes | Full list
New Feature: Hotfixing
With this patch, the Overwatch client on all platforms can now automatically receive minor updates (hotfixes) without needing to be restarted. Hotfixes require online connectivity, access to disk, and sufficient disk space.
New Feature: Shared Install (PTR and Live)
The PTR and Live Overwatch PC clients can now share storage when installed to the same file path on disk. This should reduce the disk space required to install and update multiple clients. As a result, today’s PTR client should require only ~1.2GB of additional disk storage. Players with previous Overwatch PTR clients installed can uninstall and reinstall to a common disk location to benefit from this feature.
Note: Overwatch League Replay Viewer also supports shared installation with the PTR and Live clients.
- Custom Game – Fixed an issue where presets saved with Symmetra’s “Teleportation Duration” were being flagged as invalid
- Role Queue Beta Season – Fixed a bug that prevented players from earning achievements when playing in the Role Queue Beta
- Role Queue Beta Season – Fixed a bug that could cause players not to receive an SR update when the entire opposing team left the match
- Fixed a bug that incorrectly applied Role Queue restrictions to vs. A.I. games
- Fixed a bug that prevented players from selecting roles in Quick Play LFGs
- Workshop – fixed an issue with “unknown error” preventing players from loading certain Custom Game presets
- Fixed a bug that could cause status effect toasts (stunned, slept, resurrected, hacked, detected, etc.) to get stuck on screen
- Fixed a bug with Brigitte’s Repair Pack granting defensive assist credit anytime after a target was healed
- Fixed a bug with Brigitte’s Repair Pack not playing a sound effect for the receiving player