Marriage in Rune Factory 4 is incredibly frustrating. Once you finally get in a relationship with someone, you can eventually marry them and even have children. However, you’ll once again have to deal with RNG to make it happen.
Our Rune Factory 4 marriage guide covers what the requirements to marry are in the game. It also includes all the marriage event prerequisites for each bachelor and bachelorette and some tips for making them trigger sooner.
How do you get married in Rune Factory 4?
You have to meet a few prerequisites to get married in Rune Factory 4. The game doesn’t come out and tell you any of the requirements for marriage, so you’ll have to keep your own checklist.
To get married in Rune Factory 4 you have to:
- Be in a relationship with the person you want to marry (see our relationship and dating guide for details on that).
- Have the person you’re dating at LP level 10 or higher.
- Go on at least three dates with the person you want to marry.
- (Male Protagonist only) Have a double bed. (Use Prince Points to purchase the furniture order under “Shops.”)
- (Male Protagonist only) Have an Engagement Ring. (Must craft using the Crafting Table, the recipe comes from Accessory Bread.)
- Complete all relationship sub-events.
Of all these prerequisites, the last one is the hardest. These sub-events don’t appear under any particular conditions. The only requirement for them to occur is that you have to be dating the person. Other than that, it’s sheer luck.
Why can’t I get married in Rune Factory 4?
So, you’ve been dating your Rune Factory 4 sweetie forever, but the option to get married just hasn’t come up. Well, make sure you’re going about it the right way.
If you’re playing as a male protagonist, you’ll need to craft an Engagement Ring and give it to your girlfriend as you would any other item. (The exception to this is Xiao Pei, who will propose to you.) You get this crafting recipe from Accessory Bread, so if you don’t have it, just visit Porcoline and gobble down the correct recipe bread until you do. If you present the ring to your girlfriend and she doesn’t respond positively, you haven’t met one of the requirements in the section above.
If your protagonist is female, things are a bit easier on your end, but no less confusing. Your boyfriend will propose to you as part of their last relationship sub-event. You don’t need to craft a ring or get a double bed, but you have to trigger the right event to get married.
How do I trigger marriage events in Rune Factory 4?
The hardest part of getting married in Rune Factory 4 is getting the right events to trigger. Each person you can date in the game has one or more events that center around them and reveal more about their character and backstory. Until you see these events, you won’t be able to trigger the marriage event.
Below is a list of the prerequisite events for each potential mate in Rune Factory 4:
Bachelor Relationship and Marriage Events:
- Don’t Forget Your Physical!
- Eyeglass Mania
- Transient Vision (Marriage Event)
- Doug’s Secret
- Shiny Memories
- A Very Special Ring (Marriage Event)
- Smile Practice
- For Clumsy You (Marriage Event)
- The Knight’s Steed
- A Part-time Job!
- The Red Knight (Marriage Event)
- A Day in Leon’s Life
- A Letter From the Past (Marriage Event)
- Don’t Fall for it, Vishnal!
- Your Answer (Marriage Event)
Bachelorette Relationship and Marriage Events:
- Introducing Amber Watson
- Gratitude (Marriage Event)
- Get It Together!
- An Ephemeral Wish (Marriage Event)
- The Running Sign
- Language of Flowers (Marriage Event)
- The Knight’s Steed
- Where the Heart is (Marriage Event)
- A Performance Without An Audience
- A Favor Repaid
- A Porco and an Elf
- Thoughts Lost in the Lake
- Being Here (Marriage Event)
- Xiao Pai
- Oh No, It’s Contagious
- A Cooper’s Windfall
- Never Gonna Give Up! (Marriage Event)
You can check what event (if any) is currently happening in Selphia by checking your diary. If the option to view current events isn’t there, then none is occurring.
All these events occur at random, so you can be stuck waiting years for them to pop off. However, there are a few ways to control these events triggering.
You can use your significant other as a crude alarm clock for events and hop the one you need pops up. Just have them follow you, sleep, wake up, and tend your farm, then sleep again. When they tell you they have to leave your party, there’s a good chance an event involving them has triggered. Since events are triggered at random, you can try this for a week or so, see if an event has popped, then reset and try again. That way, you haven’t wasted a bunch of in-game time to get an event you don’t want.
Other than the method above, there’s no real way to influence when relationship and marriage events occur. You just have to be patient and hope it pops up eventually.
One more word of warning is that the events above won’t happen on days when you’re going on a date with your significant other, or festival days. So, if you want to increase your chances of one of the random events occurring, don’t schedule any festivals and don’t go on any dates past the three required to get married.