As with most things in life, Nintendo’s Animal Crossing: New Horizons is perhaps best enjoyed with friends. When playing locally there’s no barrier to all the fun that you and yours can share, though when playing online effective communication can be a bit of a sticking point. The game does feature a somewhat cumbersome built-in text chat system, but in this guide, we’ll tell you how to get the most out of it and how to text chat quickly in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
How to text chat quickly in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Animal Crossing Nintendo Switch allows players to connect to the internet and visit other people’s islands. It also allows you to open up your own home to visitors, in which case, you’ll definitely want to be able to quickly type out messages — be that to warmly welcome somebody, or maybe even lay down some ground rules.
How to text chat in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Load up Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- During gameplay, press the “R” button on your controller to summon the in-game keyboard
- Follow the on-screen button prompts to type out your message, then hit “+” to send
- The message will appear in a speech bubble above your character’s head
That’s the basic intended method, though there are several options available to players looking for a more streamlined experience:
Ways to text chat quickly in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Play in handheld mode to enable typing via the Switch touch screen
- Connect a keyboard to your Nintendo Switch console
- Note: Extra peripherals may be required
- Download the Nintendo Switch Online app for iOS or Android
- The official application allows for text and voice communication on mobile
- Communicate via your preferred third-party means (Discord, etc.)
Now that you know how to text chat quickly in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, you’re all set to start enjoying online play to the max.
More Animal Crossing: New Horizons Guides
Check out our list of Animal Crossing: New Horizons guides below: