Although many PC gamers proclaim that there’s no better tool for the job than a mouse and keyboard, some games just plain play better with a controller. With Epic Games’ new storefront growing in popularity thanks largely to a suite of exclusives and regular free game giveaways, many newcomers will wonder: “Does Epic Games Store have controller support?”
Stick with this guide to learn if you can use a gamepad to play EGS games, and if so, which controllers are supported.
Is there Epic Games Store controller support?
Since the Epic Games Store doesn’t feature any kind of TV mode, you can’t use a controller to browse the storefront or launch games. Although you can’t interact with the store itself, where implemented by developers, you can use a controller in supported games. An Xbox One controller shouldn’t give you any issues, though there are reports that anything else could present compatibility issues.
With even the PS4’s prolific DualShock 4 not functioning in many cases, there is, thankfully, a simple fix for those that have Steam. By launching EGS games via Steam you can take advantage of Steam Input, allowing you to use any controller you like and fully remap the buttons.
How to use any controller on the Epic Games Store
- Create a shortcut for the Epic Games Store game(s) you want to add to Steam.
- In order to do so, locate the game in your EGS Library, click the three dots, then click “Create A Shortcut.”
- Open the Steam application.
- Click the “Games” tab, then “Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library” from the dropdown menu.
- Locate “Epic Games Launcher” in the list of programs, click the tickbox, then click “ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS.”
- On your desktop, right-click the game shortcut you created earlier and select “Properties” from the list of options.
- Copy the URL field by highlighting it and pressing CTRL+C.
- Open Steam, navigate to your Library, then locate the Epic Games Launcher.
- Right-click it and select “Properties.”
- Click “SET LAUNCH OPTIONS.”
- Paste the URL you copied into the field by clicking it and then pressing CTRL+V.
- Click “OK.”
- Still in the properties menu, delete the top text field (it should read “Epic Games Launcher”) and enter the name of the game you linked.
- Click “Close.”
Now you can launch the game via Steam and take advantage of full Steam Input support in EGS titles.