When downloading the new Apex Legends Season 5 update for PC, PS4, and Xbox One some players are encountering a problem. It appears to be affecting PC players downloading the battle royale game’s latest update via Origin; annoyingly, it involves the download becoming stuck at the “Preparing” phase. Although EA and Respawn haven’t issued an official acknowledgment, thankfully, there is an Apex Legends update stuck on “Preparing” fix.
Apex Legends Update Stuck on ‘Preparing’ Fix | How to download Season 5 patch
After commencing the Apex Legends Season 5 update on PC, some gamers are finding that, after functioning normally for a period, the download will become stuck as a message that reads “Preparing” is displayed. It’s the last thing anybody wants to encounter while waiting to dive into an all-new season of content. Here’s a quick fix that’ll hopefully get you back up and running in no time.
Apex Legends update stuck on ‘Preparing’ fix
- Cancel the update in the Origin client.
- Click the Origin menu and select the “Application Settings” option.
- Disable “Automatic game updates.”
- Click the Origin menu again and select the “Exit” option.
- Relaunch the Origin application form your desktop.
- Right-click Apex Legends in your game library.
- Select the “Repair” option.
- This should repair your game and allow the update to download successfully.
The stuck on “Preparing” phenomenon isn’t new, unfortunately, with Redditor galambalazs identifying this fix over two months ago. Their method was well-received by the Apex Legends community, whereas several official responses on the EA Answers forums were deemed less helpful.
Obviously you’ll need to wait for the Apex Legends patch to download before being able to play, but it should now do so without issue. Try not to panic if you see the “Repairing” message pop up again, as it’s normal and shouldn’t cause any problems this time with the fix in place.