Star Trek: Picard Season One is coming to Blu-ray and DVD this fall. Fans will be able to choose between the standard version and a limited edition Steelbook and will feature all ten episodes as well as a bevy of special features. Star Trek: Picard premiered to positive response (76 on Metacritic) in January. However, many fans declined to sign up for CBS All Access, and this will be the first time the series is available outside of that service (at least in the US).
The Blu-ray release of Star Trek: Picard contains all ten episodes of season one:
- Maps and Legends
- The End is Beginning
- Absolute Candor
- Stardust City Rag
- The Impossible Box
- Broken Pieces
- Et In Arcadia Ego, Part 1
- Et In Arcadia Ego, Part 2
The special features include:
- Make It So: Patrick Stewart and the showrunners of Star Trek: Picard discuss bringing Jean-Luc Picard back twenty-five years after TNG.
- The Motley Crew: Featurette on the crew of the La Sirena.
- Aliens Alive: The xBs: A look at the process behind creating the xBs and their costumes.
- Picard Props: Jeffrey Lombardi features props built for Star Trek: Picard.
- Set Me Up: A tour for a handful of the main stages of Star Trek Picard.
- Deleted Scenes
- Gag Reel
The Star Trek: Picard Season One Blu-ray also includes the Short Trek, “Children of Mars.” This short was conspicuously missing from the Short Treks Blu-ray, and it’s inclusion here instead makes sense since it’s was the only one set near Picard’s date.
Star Trek: Picard‘s claim to fame is that it’s better than Discovery, which sets the bar pretty low. I watched the first season with some trepidation, as it shows hints of what made TNG (and Jean-Luc Picard by extension), so engaging. However, for the most part, it follows the grim, dark formula, which made Battlestar Galactica so popular.
You can pre-order Star Trek: Picard right now on Amazon in advance of the October 6, 2020 release. Make it so!