Is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare or Warzone crashing during startup? You may be experiencing the dreaded dev error 6164. This problem has been kicking around for months, and unfortunately, most of its potential fixes require time, patience, and persistence.
Modern Warfare & Warzone | How to fix dev error 6164
Dev error 6164 in Modern Warfare and Warzone results in the game crashing during the Infinity Ward logo. Most fixes for dev error 6164 involve repairing or reinstalling all of the game software.
Both Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone have loads of different numbered error codes. Unfortunately, these codes don’t really help address the problem at hand. Users typically go to the Activision Support forums looking for fixes, only to have the same solutions repeated over and over again.
As you may have guessed, this is the case with 6164. There are loads of posts on the Activision forums as well as the Modern Warfare subreddit asking about 6164, and none offer any sort of proven fix. The only consistent advice is to uninstall the game, delete the Modern Warfare folder in Documents, and then reinstall the software entirely. In some cases, users even say you have to reinstall Battle.net itself.
This results in sort of a blunderbuss scenario, where you’ll need to throw every potential solution at the problem. In order of least drastic to most drastic solutions, here’s what you should try:
- Use the Scan and Repair tool in the Battle.net launcher
- Disable any in-game overlay software
- Disable any overclocking or under-volting software
- If the problem started recently, wait for a new patch
- If you installed to an external hard drive, try installing to an internal hard drive
- Try installing a different set of RAM
- Uninstall and reinstall the game completely
- Uninstall and completely reinstall both the game and the Battle.net launcher
- Wait for an actual fix from the developers
Dev error 6164 is a doozy, and while it may be fixed with a simple reinstall, your chances look slim. This is one the most frustrating errors in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone, and it’s unfortunately one that is nearly impossible to address.