A few unfortunate Call of Duty: Warzone and Modern Warfare players have encountered game-breaking bugs. One of these is dev error 1159, which pops up when the game crashes during online multiplayer. This error is an absolute menace, providing no description of the problem nor any clues toward a solution. If you want to fix dev error 1159, you’ve got your work cut out for you.
Modern Warfare & Warzone | What is dev error 1159?
If you’ve encountered dev error 1159 in Modern Warfare or Warzone, the news is bad: No one knows what this error means or exactly how to fix it. Activision Support has not yet provided any sort of solution. The only way to fix error 1159 is to go through common troubleshooting steps.
Of all the different error codes in Modern Warfare and Warzone, dev error 1159 is the only one we’ve found (so far) without any explanation or solution. All we know is that it usually pops up during multiplayer, resulting in either a disconnect or an outright crash.
There are currently five separate posts about 1159 on the Activision Support forums, and not a single one contains a response from the Activision Support team. Likewise, not a single one of those posts includes a fix. This is something of a rarity, since many Call of Duty error codes provide a brief description of the problem. When you have an idea of what causes the issue, you at least know where to start finding a solution. No such luck here.
Is there any fix for dev error 1159?
The only possible way to fix code 1159 is to go through the usual troubleshooting steps. We’ve written loads of Call of Duty dev error code guides, so we’re intimately familiar with the most common solutions. Try any or all of these out; with any luck, one of them will work.
For your convenience, we’ve listed them in order from least difficult to most difficult. Start from the top and work your way down.
- Make sure your PC meets the game’s minimum requirements
- A lot of players ignore under-performance warnings. If your system isn’t up to the job, don’t be surprised if things don’t work properly
- Scan and Repair the game in the Battle.net launcher
- This ensures that the software is complete in addition to ruling out any corrupt data
- Verify the strength and integrity of your home network
- Basically, make sure you have good WiFi strength (if applicable) and that no other devices are causing disruptions to your internet service
- Make sure your GPU drivers and Windows installation are up-to-date
- Use Windows Update first, then check the software suite for your specific GPU, such as the nVidia GeForce Experience or the AMD Radeon Software Center
- Disable any software with in-game overlays
- Modern Warfare and Warzone both hate in-game overlays. Microsoft Game Bar and Shadowplay are particularly problematic. Discord and Spotify may also prove troublesome
- Disable any under-volting or overclocking tweaks
- Disable XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) in your system BIOS
- Uninstall, then download and reinstall the game without any pauses or disruptions
- Pausing the Call of Duty download is frequently cited as the cause behind several dev errors. No one knows why, but some users swear that uninterrupted downloads fix their problems
What if I’m playing on console?
You may have noticed that all of these fixes are centered around PC versions of either game. Some players have reported encountering 1159 on consoles, specifically the Xbox One. However, since there’s no formal information about the code anywhere online, there’s no way of telling what you should do to fix it. At best, you can try to confirm the integrity of your internet connection, then reinstall the game without pauses or disruptions. Yes, it’s a giant pain, but until Activision Support speaks up on the issue, potential solutions will remain limited.
If none of these fixes work, contact Activision Support. They’re the only ones that can figure out the cause, and if you paid for Modern Warfare, you’re entitled to answers. If one of these solutions did fix dev error 1159, please share your experience in the comments below and help your fellow players jump back into the action.