Knowing how to transfer saves to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S from Xbox One and Xbox 360 will help players pick up from where they left off on the games from previous generations. Fortunately, transferring an Xbox One game save to Xbox Series X and S is a straightforward process. It should be simple, too, to transfer saves from Xbox 360 to Xbox Series X.
How to transfer Xbox One saves to Xbox Series X|S
To transfer save files from the Xbox One to the Xbox Series X and S, players will need to make sure that the wanted save files are stored in the Xbox cloud. Thankfully, this is done automatically on the Xbox One.
Steps to transfer saves from Xbox One to Xbox Series X|S
- Re-download or play the Xbox One game from its disc on the Xbox Series X
- The Series X should automatically download the game’s save file from the cloud
- It will do this if there is a save file in the Xbox cloud
- Check back on the Xbox One if there isn’t a save file in the cloud and try again if it doesn’t work
That’s all there is to it. Simply play an Xbox One game that has already been played before on the Series X and Series S to carry its save file over. Do remember, though, that the Series S is a digital-only console. Xbox One discs cannot be played on the Series S.
How to transfer Xbox 360 saves to Xbox Series X and S
To transfer Xbox 360 game saves directly to the Xbox Series X and S, players need to boot up their 360. Unfortunately, to access cloud saves on the 360, an Xbox Live Gold subscription is required. If it is an Xbox 360 game that has been played on the Xbox One, however, simply follow the steps outlined above.
Steps for transferring saves from Xbox 360 to Xbox Series X
- Turn on the Xbox 360
- Head to Settings on the dashboard
- Under Settings, choose “System”
- Select “Storage”
- Open “Hard Drive”
- Choose “Games and Apps”
- Press Y to copy or A to head into the game’s individual files
- Copy the Game Files to “Cloud Saved Games”
- Play the Xbox 360 game on the Series X
- The Series X should automatically begin downloading the game’s save files from the cloud
Remember, an Xbox Live Gold subscription is needed to use the cloud on the Xbox 360. It is not required on the Xbox One, Series X and Series S. Again, it is worth noting that the Series S is a digital-only console. No putting in Xbox 360 discs there.
Now that it is known how to transfer saves to Xbox Series X from both the Xbox One and Xbox 360, it’s time to make the most out of the next-gen improvements to some classic Xbox games.