Improving dedicated servers was the main goal of the Valheim 0.147.3 update, though, unfortunately, it’s had the opposite effect for many. Server disconnects are currently plaguing the game, with hosts receiving the “disconnected” error message whenever they attempt to go online. Although the exact cause remains unclear, thankfully, there are several workarounds that may fix the Valheim dedicated server disconnected issue.
What is the Valheim dedicated server ‘disconnected’ error fix?
Valheim is a Steam Early Access game, but even then, an update aiming to improve dedicated servers ideally shouldn’t break them. Furthermore, the latest Valheim patch seems to have broken different players’ servers in different ways. As a result, identifying the cause and which solution to implement is tricky.
Here are some potential fixes for the Valheim server disconnection problem:
Valheim dedicated server ‘disconnected’ error fix
- Close the Valheim application completely, then re-launch the game.
- Uninstall and then reinstall the Valheim dedicated server via Steam.
- Use port forwarding to open additional ports.
- Here’s a walkthrough by HappyHoff and CakeMixer on Reddit.
- Fix the corrupted “Dedicated.db” file.
- Navigate to — C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds
- Locate and delete the “Dedicated.db” file.
- Find and copy the “Dedicated.db.backup” file.
- Delete “.backup” from the copy’s file name.
Hopefully, after following the above steps, the Valheim dedicated server disconnect errors will stop. Mileage may vary, however, as different users appear to be affected in different ways.
Valheim developer Iron Gate is likely aware of the issues and working to implement an official, universal fix. The popular survival game isn’t finished yet, so network issues of this nature are largely par for the course. If none of these workarounds address the glitch, for the time being, all that players can do is wait on a future game update.
Until then, dedicated servers should still work offline. Valheim is playable solo, though, naturally, that isn’t ideal for players that were enjoying co-op.