Valheim can be an isolating and challenging experience, especially when playing solo offline. Taming animals is a great way around that — be it a boar, a wolf, or even a lox. The fictional lox is, true to its name, a combination of a lizard and an ox. The species is incredibly aggressive and completely deadly, but, with a little TLC, it’s possible to quickly and easily tame lox as pets in the Plains biome. So, here’s the need-to-know on how to tame lox in Valheim for PC.
How to tame lox in Valheim
Taming boar and wolves is relatively simple, but building a lox to 100% affection is a slightly more dangerous and time-consuming task. If it wasn’t already clear from their size, lox hit like a battleaxe. It’s possible for most Vikings to die in a single hit from one, though, arguably, that makes taming a pet lox even more tempting. Who could say no to wielding such power?
- Use stone walls to build a pen close to the Plains biome base, making sure to leave a single opening.
- Find and attract the attention of a lox, then carefully lead it through the opening and into the stone pen.
- Getting two lox allows for breeding, along with a steady supply of meat and pelts.
- Exit the pen, then quickly fill in the opening to complete the stone wall.
- Gather barley and cloudberries to feed the lox with; growing these resources at the base will help.
- Build a staircase on the outside of the pen, then climb up and drop the food into the pen from a safe distance.
- Continue this process until the 100% affection message appears.
- The lox is now tame, safe to approach, and appreciative of a pet from the player.
Unlike wolves, lox won’t generally follow the player into battle. They’re still very useful to have around, though.