As I was casually walking around the game shop August 25th, I noticed that this little mom and pop store I generally enjoy spending time in was getting awfully crowded. "The hell?" I asked myself. I looked around and quickly realized, oh crap, I have walked into a game shop on… Monster Hunter Day.
The PS3's HD upgrade of the hot-selling Monster Hunter Portable 3 hit Japan on the 25th, and surprise, surprise, it's the nation's top-seller. The picture enclosed is from my crappy cell phone. It was once ahead of its time, believe me, but its time was literally 10 years ago. Yeah, my phone was new when the PS2 was new.
Here's the full list of Japan's top 20 best-selling games for the week of August 22-28.
- [PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver.
- [PSP] Black Rock Shooter: The Game
- [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: New Giren’s Ambition
- [PS3] Samurai Warriors 3: Empires
- [PSP] Dynasty Warriors 7: Special
- [WII] Rhythm Heaven
- [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Felyne G
- [DS] Kirby Mass Attack
- [3DS] Pokemon Rumble Blast
- [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus
- [DS] Suite PreCure: Melody Collection
- [PSP] Durarara!! 3way Standoff: Alley
- [PSP] Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel: Toki to Sekai no Meikyuu
- [PSP] Toriko: Gourmet Survival
- [PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 7: Euro +
- [PSP] Taiko Drum Master Portable DX
- [PSP] Persona 3 Portable
- [PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- [DS] Pokemon Black / White
The game sold over 287,000 copies, more than doubling up second-place Black Rock Shooter (105k), according to Media Create.
I counted like 70 people crammed into this tiny game shop, and in my city of half a million, let me tell you there were definitely others with similar situations on their hands. I wasn't even buying Monster Hunter; I was trading in Tales of VS. It barely got me enough money to buy a can of pop, though, so I probably could have saved myself the hassle and waited. I gotta be more careful next time.