We're nearing the end of the year, and while there are still some big games yet to debut (did you know The Last Guardian is almost here?), game of the year discussions have already begun. As a matter of fact, voting has started in some cases.
Valve has debuted what it's calling The Steam Awards, an end of year ceremony driven by gamers. Running from November 23rd to November 29th, Steam users are being asked to nominate games for each of the following:
- The "Test of Time" Award
- This award is for the game that is just as good today as the day you first played it. Newer games may come out, but it doesn’t matter… you’ll always come back to play this one.
- The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award
- Games are fun. But sometimes games become more than that, and touch you in a way you weren’t expecting. This award celebrates the game that blindsided you emotionally. You weren’t expecting to cry. It wasn’t in the plan. But it happened none the less.
- The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award
- You have an early day tomorrow. You need to get some sleep, so you’re just going finish one more thing before you decide to tuck in for the night. Just one more. Wait, one more. What’s that you say? It’s 2:30 AM? This award is for the game that keeps you playing late.
- The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award
- Some games melt your face. Maybe it was a crazy plot twist. Maybe you just got your wisdom teeth removed. Either way, this game BLOWS YOUR MIND.
- The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award
- Some people just need a hug.
- The “Game Within A Game” Award
- Kinder Eggs. Peanut Butter Cups. Jelly Donuts. All great things stuffed with other great things. Like a mighty turducken, this award celebrates the best mini game hidden within another game.
- The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award
- This title didn’t have a huge marketing machine behind it, but you found it and loved it. Then you told your friends about it. And they loved it. And now that little game that could is about to win an award… but always remember: you totally found it first.
- The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award
- Animals are rad and almost any game is better for including them. However this game used a farm animal in the best way possible.
- The “We Didn’t Think Of Everything” Award
- (*name pending Selection Committee Decision) There are as many great ideas for awards as there are great games to play. And so we turn to the Steam Awards Selection Committee to come up with their own category and nominee. Senior members of the Selection Committee will review the write-in entries and create an entirely new category based on the feedback provided.
As you might have noticed, none of the awards are traditional. Instead, most of them are open to interpretation and should make for some interesting results. Well, except for the "Test of Time" reward, which is with 99.9% certainty going to Civilization VI. I mean, come on.
Nominations are open-ended and are accomplished by searching the store; there are no pre-defined selections. This means that you can vote for games that released before 2016, making the possibilities nearly endless.
Valve will announce the winners shortly after the November 29th deadline. With that, participants will be awarded a unique badge for their Steam profile.
Let us know what you vote for in the comments below.