Amazon had a pretty great 2018, all things considered. In terms of video game sales, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate took top honors as the best selling game of 2018 on their website.
Nintendo did well this year on the website, with Smash Ultimate taking the number one spot. Screen protectors took the number four spot, while the neon Switch console took sixth. Other Nintendo-related items included the Pro Controller at number eight, Super Mario Party at 15, and the soon-to-be-discontinued NES Classic Edition at 20.
The PlayStation 4 didn’t have very many titles on the list, but several variants of the PlayStation Store cards were best-sellers as well as the DualShock 4 controller. Xbox controllers also did well this year, with the white controller (at 18) outselling the black (at 20). However, no other Xbox software cracked the top 20 list. The console exclusive Spider-Man did crack the top 20, just barely at 19, while Red Dead Redemption 2 took the number 14 spot.
Here are the top 20 best selling video game-related items on Amazon in 2018 (via GameIndustry.biz):
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate
- $10 PlayStation Store Gift Card
- $20 PlayStation Store Gift Card
- Nintendo Switch Screen Protector
- PlayStation Plus 12 Month Membership
- Nintendo Switch Console (Neon)
- $50 PlayStation Store Gift Card
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
- $10 Xbox Gift Card
- $25 Xbox Gift Card
- $60 PlayStation Gift Card
- DualShock 4 Wireless Controller
- $25 PlayStation Store Gift Card
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Super Mario Party
- PlayStation Plus: 1 Month Membership
- NES Classic Edition
- Xbox Wireless Controller White
- Marvel’s Spider-Man
- Xbox Wireless Controller – Black
Amazon had a pretty tremendous holiday season. A recent press release touted record-breaking sales with their Echo Dot and Fire Stick devices also selling very well. Overall, Amazon boasted shipping one billion items for free this past holiday season.
Their aggressive expansion comes as people are questioning how Amazon’s workers are being treated, especially as Amazon’s CEO Jeff Bezos continues to see his net worth rise. Workers were only being paid $7.25 an hour until recently when that figure was doubled to $15.