More Reviews
REVIEWS Wayward Manor Review
Not even the power of Neil Gaiman and The Odd Gentlemen could save this game from a fate worse than death: a terrible score.

ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red Review
"Unlimited World Red"? More like "Sorta Limited Town and Extended Areas... Red. And Blue. And Some Yellow."
More Previews
PREVIEWS Hand of Fate Preview
Dungeons & Dragons mixed with the Batman: Arkham series... wait, what?!
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Sacred 3
Release date: 08/05/14

Hohokum
Release date: 08/12/14

Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: 08/19/14

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: 08/19/14

LATEST FEATURES Gaming For Good: Charity for the Win
Playing video games for charity is becoming easier everyday. Livestream, join a fundraising guild, or game at your own pace. There are many different ways gamers can contribute to numerous charitable causes.

PlayStation’s Colorful Console Past and Its Bright, White Future
Sony will release the white PlayStation 4 in September, so let's take a walk through the company's hardware history.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Headsets and Macs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sightless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Headsets and Macs Reply with quote

I suck at figuring out how to deal with hardware problems. GR, if anyone can even point me in a good direction, I'd much appreciate it!

The Story: My old Logitech headset is having difficulties consistently providing sound to my ears. I figure the wires are frayed or something to that effect, since I have to position the cord extremely carefully and precisely if I want to get sound, and even more precisely and accurately if I want to get sound in both ears. I don't think this can be fixed, so I went on a hunt for a new headset.

Problem with the new headset I want is that it doesn't have a USB option, so it's just the headphone cord and the microphone cord. For non-Macs this isn't usually a problem, but Macs have very particular holes; rather than having a mic jack, they have an audio-in, which only works with things like CD players, which provide power.

My Questions: So I'm not sure how to solve this problem. Can I solve it? I'm pretty sure USB adapters are out there, but ones I've seen were more expensive than the headset itself. Seems like a bad deal, but is that just what they cost?

If I do get an adapter, is it going to mess much with the audio? I mean, would there be a point to getting a decent headset if I have to use an adapter.

Does anybody have recommendations for a headset in the $40 range? I need over-/on-ear headphones, not just earpiece things, and ideally a mute button and volume control built into it, although I could live without. I scoured Boxing Day sales, but they were pretty bad this year for anyone not prepped to spend hundreds. Saving $100 off of $400 headphones is cool, but not something I can go for, unfortunately.
I sprinkle sand into the waters of night. The grains burn as they fall, reminding me of another in times long passed away. I watched him even then as he fell, his face undefeated, his eyes still proud.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I would be able to give you a more in depth answer but I really only use windows and Linux distros
Im guessing your using a macbook pro, the one without mic in?

As for usb headsets on a budget that will work with macs
$34.99(Some people complain about these hurting their ears.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104214
$36.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104396

Both according to my research will work plug and play which means you wont have to download and install drivers.

Happy New Year
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is to either buy a set with USB, or you could get a USB soundcard. Can pick up a creative one for under $20 that SHOULD work, although like Sourdeez i don't use macs so i'm unsure how OSX responds to things like it. Windows tends to pick it up as a generic audio device without drivers, so hopefully OSX will do the same.

Otherwise it might be time for you to invest in a good quality DAC and spend big on headphones and a separate mic, for overall better quality. Although considering a good DAC, good headphones and clip-on mic will run you $300-400, it's probably a bit hard to do unless you want to get serious.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Sightless

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez: Yes, MacBook Pro. I've actually tried both of those you listed. The second one has a bit of bad design, and the first one is the set that just broke, and I'm hoping for something different. Thank you very much for the links, though!

madster, I just looked up one by Creative, and it won't work with Mac, for whatever reason. Sad I think I have found a few that will, though. ...I hope. I suppose that will have to do, because I don't want to spend that much money. I don't have enough of it yet.

Speaking of Creative, the set I'm sort of attached to is the Fatal1ty one, because a friend has had hers forever and says it's alright, and also because it was something like twenty bucks. Razz
I sprinkle sand into the waters of night. The grains burn as they fall, reminding me of another in times long passed away. I watched him even then as he fell, his face undefeated, his eyes still proud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: