The Overwatch 2.62 update patch notes (or Overwatch 1.35 if you’re on PC) mean it’s that time of the year again. It’s the time Blizzard shows Overwatch players more story and lore in its annual Archives event. This year’s event is called Storm Rising and features Genji, Tracer, Winston, and Mercy. But this patch also brings some balance updates as well. It’s a hefty patch on PS4 (24.792GB) and looks like it. On PC, it looks like it is only 3.65GB.
Overwatch 2.62 Update Patch Notes (Overwatch 1.35) | Storm Rising event
The Storm Rising Archives event is the biggest part of the Overwatch 2.62 update patch notes. It brings a new cooperative mission “to extract a high-ranking member of the Talon organization and unlock pieces of the past.” The trailer featured the four as they tried to capture Maximilien, a wealthy omnic and member of the Talon inner council. He rose after Reaper killed Antonio, who was the main bad guy in last year’s Archives event.
This event will have plenty of cosmetics, which you can see below. It also takes place in Havana, Cuba, which means Blizzard might release a Cuban map one day. And even though the mission stars Genji, Mercy, Winston, and Tracer, it’ll have a mode where players can pick whatever hero they want. People can also go and play the last two year’s worth of Archive events too. It ends on May 6.
Overwatch 2.62 Update Patch Notes (Overwatch 1.35) | Storm Rising skins
There are nine new skins as well as a few highlight intros, emotes, victory poses, and sprays. You can see the skins below. They are Socialite Ashe, Gwishin Bastion, Formal 76, Deadlock McCree, Scientist Moira, and Talon Baptiste, which are all legendary. The epic skins are Racer Zarya, High Roller Wrecking Ball, and Circus Junkrat.
Overwatch 2.62 Update Patch Notes (Overwatch 1.35) | Balance changes
There aren’t as many changes as the last patch, but there are still some balance tweaks in this update for Reaper, Junkrat, and Symmetra.
Reaper can now use his Shadow Step ability in the air. It now recovers in half a second (instead of a full second), he’s invisible throughout the whole thing, and can no teleport through breakable objects like railings. The cooldown is also no six seconds instead of seven. This buff is to make the universally panned ability a bit faster and less situational. Blizzard even said it had been a tool for disengaging but these changes will make it less of a niche ability. He also can’t use this ability while caught in Zarya’s Graviton Surge.
Symmetra did not get as big of a buff but she can now similarly place her teleporter past break objects like railings. Previously, these metal bars made placing objects like a teleporter extremely finicky. Mei’s Ice Wall is also a bit easier to place on thin surfaces and “appears less jittery.” Doomfist can also Seismic Slam through railings. Railings have taken a huge nerf in this update, which should please players.
Junkrat also got a small buff. His grenade velocity has been sped up (from 20 to 25) and now bounce less and explode sooner. Blizzard said this will reduce grenade spam and allow players to more deliberately aim. Essentially, it will feel a bit less random and cheap to play as and against him.
And while not quite a buff and buried within the bugs, a popular post on the subreddit must have shown Blizzard the inconsistencies of healing Mei while she is in her CryoFreeze block. Some healers could not heal her in her block and some could not. Now, all the healers can heal her while she uses that ability.
You can also now set a random victory pose and allow people in your current group to see your profile. There are also a ton of bug fixes, which you can read below.
Overwatch 2.62 Update Patch Notes (Overwatch 1.35)
Storm Rising: Experience a decisive moment in Overwatch’s history during the Overwatch Archives event! Get ready to travel back in time and visit beautiful Havana, Cuba where Overwatch agents are hot on the trail of the notorious businessman and Talon associate Maximilien.
Team up with your friends to capture and interrogate Maximilien—whose knowledge could shape the future of Overwatch. Relive the action of previous Archives events, where you’ll fight off hordes of Talon agents while escaping Rialto and stop an Omnic insurrection in King’s Row. You’ll earn Archives Loot Boxes as you play, unlocking cosmetics from Overwatch’s past, including Legendary skins like Deadlock McCree, Scientist Moira, Talon Baptiste, Socialite Ashe, and many more!
Developer Comments: With this change, we’re looking to slightly increase the range at which Junkrat can land direct hits. The speed of his bombs has increased, but we tuned it so this wouldn’t affect the arc of his projectile. This means that aiming with it will feel the same. The grenades bounce less and explode sooner, which will allow Junkrat to aim them more deliberately. This will reduce the amount of rolling grenade spam when playing against him.
- Projectile speed increased from 20 to 25
- Grenades now bounce less but explode sooner
- Fixed a bug that caused the player’s view to become jittery while standing on certain objects
- Fixed an issue where the camera would be offset slightly when changing rapidly into third person view
- Fixed an issue where players were able to shoot through unintended small gaps on the Ilios, Nepal, and Temple of Anubis maps
- Fixed a bug where your view would become level with the horizon after using Symmetra’s Teleporter
Developer Comments: Shadow Step was originally intended to be purely an out-of-combat mobility tool to traverse the map, since Wraith Form was already a great tool for disengaging. However, this made Shadow Step very situational, so we’re increasing its flexibility to make it a better, less niche ability. This will enable Reaper to use Shadow Step in more offensive situations.
- Cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
- Can now be used in air
- Time to exit Shadow Step reduced from 1.0 second to 0.5 of a second
- Reaper is now invisible for the entire time it takes to exit shadow step
- Railings and other breakable objects no longer block teleporting
- Disabled by Zarya’s Graviton Surge and Junkrat’s Steel Trap
- Railings and other breakable objects no longer block teleporter placement and teleporting
- You can now set your Victory Pose choice to random
- There is now an option to set your profile so only your current group can view it
- Fixed an issue with the steam not rising correctly from Ana’s cup in the Tea Time emote
- Fixed a bug where Ana didn’t receive audio or visual cues when a hero she boosted landed a shot
- Fixed a bug where the Orb of Discord sound effect would play when Bob was affected by Zenyatta’s Orb of Discord
- Fixed an issue where Bob wouldn’t consistently stop and damage large objects deployed by heroes, like Junkrat’s RIP-Tire or Orisa’s Supercharger, if he encountered them while running
- Fixed a bug where Immortality Field wasn’t immediately destroyed when it is hit by the payload
- Fixed a bug where Bastion would take damage while in Sentry Mode if it was hit into a wall by Doomfist’s Rocket Punch
- Fixed a bug where enemies would not collide with walls while being knocked back by Rocket Punch
- Fixed a bug where Seismic Slam wouldn’t break objects that should break
- Fixed an issue where Rocket Punch would knock back Orisa even if she was using Fortify
- Fixed a bug where Mei could not be healed by other heroes while using Cryo-Freeze
- Fixed a bug where Mercy didn’t receive audio or visual cues when a hero she boosted landed a shot
- Fixed a bug where Mercy didn’t receive defensive assist credit from healing beams when using Valkyrie
- Fixed a bug where Orisa would take damage while using Fortify if she was hit into a wall by Doomfist’s Rocket Punch
- Fixed a bug where Reinhardt was unable to raise his shield properly while looking upwards if he had opened his shield while looking downwards
- Fixed a bug where his Heroic victory pose didn’t loop properly
- Fixed a bug where Symmetra would gain ultimate charge when her Sentry Turrets were attacking objects deployed by other heroes (Wrecking Ball’s Minefield, Torbjörn’s Deploy Turret, etc.)
- Fixed a bug where Torbjörn would gain ultimate charge when his Deploy Turret was attacking objects deployed by other heroes (Wrecking Ball’s Minefield, Symmetra’s Sentry Turrets, etc.)
- Fixed a bug where Widowmaker’s rifle goes into her head and shoulders while walking and aiming her scope, when wearing the Biathalon skin
- Fixed a bug where dying did not cancel Infra-Sight
- Fixed a bug where flying heroes could get stuck on trees and wall climbing heroes could get stuck on birds’ nests
- Fixed a bug where flying heroes could get stuck on trees
- Fixed a bug on the Sanctuary map where heroes would bounce when standing on the edge of the first capture point
- Fixed a bug where Reaper could Shadow Step to unintended places
- Fixed a bug where the spectator camera started at the incorrect position
Horizon Lunar Colony
- Fixed a bug where players could get stuck on top of a worktable
- Fixed a bug where Junkrat’s RIP-Tire could get stuck in the grates on the ground in King’s Row
- Fixed a bug on the University map where a hero that touches the enemy team’s spawn room doors will take significant damage
- Fixed a bug where D.Va would get stuck behind a desk when using Call Mech
- Fixed a bug where ivy on walls was preventing certain abilities from impacting enemies, like Winston’s Tesla Cannon and Doomfist’s Meteor Strike
- Fixed a bug where players killed on a specific bridge would fall through the bridge
- Fixed an issue where players could become stuck between a dolly, the wall, and a counter
- Fixed a bug where Wrecking Ball would get stuck on ventilation ducts