A fresh new update to Rocket League is making its way to players today, June 16, 2020. The new patch marks Rocket League update version 1.78, and introduces new changes to the game’s bump and collision detection. There are also a handful of new bug fixes and general gameplay improvements. Keep reading to check out all the latest changes and discover the full Rocket League patch notes for update 1.78 featured below.
Rocket League Patch Notes | Update 1.78
The latest Rocket League update 1.78 is relatively small. As far the patch notes go, the main changes here focus around optimizing what happens when two vehicles collide. The developers have implemented several improvements to bump and demolition detection, which ought to help sharpen game’s general sense of demolition.
Though most of these changes aren’t of particular note to most users, they do impact how certain interactions play out. There are new Forward hit Checks and Victim Hit Checks that determine impacts and outcomes based on the angle of collisions. The game’s previous Supersonic Checks and Speed Checks remain otherwise unchanged.
Beyond these improvements, update 1.78 also includes a small selection of bug fixes. These involve a bug that prevented corner Boost Pills not accurately giving a Boost, and one typo in the listing for Decennium Wheels. Finally, there’s a Nintendo Switch-specific fix that prevented some users from joining local matches based on their usernames.
Ready for the full scoop? Here are the complete Rocket League patch notes for update 1.78 as provided by the developers.
- The v1.78 update prepares Rocket League for future content releases
- Made improvements to Bump and Demolition detection
CHANGES AND UPDATES
- Demolitions and Bumping
- Based on player feedback, we are making some improvements to Bump and Demolition detection. It is important to note that even with these fixes, Bumps and Demos will never be perfect in online play due to latency. However, after testing these changes with a variety of prominent community members & esports players, we feel this is a positive change that will reduce inconsistencies.
- The rules to trigger a Demolition are now as follows:
- Supersonic Check [UNCHANGED]
- You are in the Supersonic State (trails visible/active on wheels)
- Supersonic State activates at 2200 speed (max speed is 2300)
- Going below 2100 speed instantly exits the Supersonic State
- Going below 2200 speed, but above 2100, remains Supersonic for one second before exiting unless you accelerate back above 2200
- Speed Check [UNCHANGED]
- Your speed in your forward direction is at least 2100 at the time of impact
- Forward Hit Check [NEW]
- The line connecting your Center of Mass to the Impact Location is within 40 degrees of your forward direction
- Victim Hit Check [NEW]
- The line connecting the Impact Location to the Victim’s Center of Mass is within [55-90] degrees of your forward direction
- This angle scales based on the Forward Hit Check result
- For all impacts within 35 degrees of your forward direction, this check uses a 90 degree angle
- For impacts between 35 and 40 degrees of your forward direction, this check scales linearly from 90 degrees down to 55. This reduces “sideswipe” demos and other undesirable use cases
- Bumps use the same set of requirements minus the speed / supersonic checks.
- Supersonic Check [UNCHANGED]
- Shout out to Rocket_Sledge, Lethamyr, amustycow, Rocket Science, HoraryHellfire2, Turbopolsa, Rizzo, and Sizz for help with testing and feedback!
- Fixed a bug preventing corner Boost Pills not giving players Boost when driven over
- [Nintendo Switch] Fixed an issue preventing some players from joining Local Matches using non-Roman characters in the match name or host player name
- Fixed ‘Decenium’ spelling error in ‘Decennium’ Wheels