One of the biggest draws to Valheim is the game’s co-op support. Up to ten players can join the same server, and users can even run their own dedicated servers. However, occasionally the game will pop up with an incompatible version error, preventing you from joining the game. As it turns out, there’s a simple way to fix the incompatible version error based on where the server is hosted.
Valheim incompatible version error fix
Valheim will display an incompatible version error message when the client and server aren’t running the same version of the game. To fix the error, you’ll need to update both the game and server to the current version.
For many players, this will be a simple fix. The first order of business is to update Valheim to the latest version. Fortunately, Steam makes it easy to both check for and install game updates:
- In your Steam library, right-click on Valheim
- Click on Properties
- Click on Updates, then download any available updates
- Finally, and if desired, make sure Automatic Updates are enabled
How to update Valheim server manually
If you’re already running the latest version of the game, then the server itself will need to be updated. This solution is a bit more tricky: If the server is being run within the game, then the server operator only needs to run the Steam update fix mentioned above. The same is true if you’re running a dedicated server yourself, except you need to update the Valheim Dedicated Server application. However, if it’s an outside server, you’ll need to force a server update using the Steam Console Client.
- First, back up the /savedata folder in the Valheim installation directory. You’ll want a duplicate of these files so you don’t lose any in-game progress
- Download and install SteamCMD
- Create a file named “update.bat” inside the installation directory, then open it
- Within the update batch file, type in the following text: “[SteamCMD directory] +login anonymous +force_install_dir [Valheim directory] +app_update 896660 validate +exit”
- In this example, replace [SteamCMD directory] with the installation path for SteamCMD and [Valheim directory] with the installation folder for Valheim
- Save the batch file, close it, and then run it to update the server to the current version
The act of manually updating a server can seem daunting, especially to users who aren’t familiar with the process. We’ve previously covered how to create a Valheim dedicated server, and we’ve also got tips on what to do if the server isn’t showing up. For even more details about server updates and configuration, check out this excellent guide posted by user Gaston Legume over on the Steam forums.
The incompatible version error in Valheim only appears when the game client and server aren’t running the same version. In many cases, you can simply update the game or the Valheim Dedicated Server application to fix the error. However, users running a dedicated server outside of their home networks will have to update the server version manually. It takes a bit of work, but it will resolve the error. Otherwise, if you’re new to the game, be sure to check out our Valheim beginner’s guide for more helpful hints and details.