Considering how popular Phasmophobia has become it’s astonishing to think that it’s still only in beta with Steam early access. The new Phasmophobia update has now dropped for April 2021 and it adds numerous quality of life fixes, such as improved load times and FPS improvements, alongside some ways for the ghosts to hunt you faster. We’ve got the full Phasmophobia patch notes below.
What’s new in the April 2021 Phasmophobia update?
The Phasmophobia April 2021 patch doesn’t seem to be as significant as some previous updates, as there’s no new level or ghost to play with, although admittedly the recent crawling ghost was added somewhat stealthily so there may be more to this update than it seems. Nevertheless, players will appreciate the improved load times and FPS performance, as well as the fix to the area light to allow players to actually see what they’re holding.
As for the ghosts, they will now hunt for you increasingly quickly as a round goes on, can hear you talking in real life if you’re hiding somewhere like a closet, and will remember where they saw you last if they lose you. To counter that, players can now break line-of-sight with furniture, so there are actually a lot more possible hiding places available.
Phasmophobia update April 2021 patch notes
Here are the full patch notes for the new Phasmophobia update:
- Added player volume controls to the main menu server screen which will carry over between games.
- Added several new hiding places to Grafton and Bleasdale.
- Asylum: Increased the size of player icons on the truck map.
- Prison and School: Optimisations to significantly improve load times and fps.
- You can no longer click any multiplayer related UI buttons (join, create etc.) on the main menu when you are still connecting to the server or a new region.
- Crucifixes will now cause a 5 second delay in between each hunt attempt after it gets used by the ghost.
- Removed the Garage and Basement keys as they currently have no purpose.
- Bleasdale: Some minor lighting changes to help with performance.
- The Non-VR area light will now light up the equipment in your hand which will allow you to see what you are holding in the dark.
- bHaptics: Removed the footstep haptic effect. More haptics will be added in the future.
- Tanglewood: The Garage room has been slightly changed to prevent some exploits.
- The ghost will no longer move at the start of the hunt in the starting phase. This is to prevent confusion as to when the hunt has actually started.
- All ghosts except Revenants will now move increasingly faster over time if they see you during a hunt. The speed will only drop if they can’t see you after they have checked your last known location.
- The ghost now has a chance to slightly open both closet doors at the same time during a hunt.
- The ghost now has a 50% chance to remember where it last saw you during the last hunt and will search that area in the next hunt.
- If you keep talking inside a locker or closet and the ghost knows you are in there it will now fully open both of the closet or locker doors on it’s second attempt even if you are grabbing them.
- Furniture will now block the line of sight between you and the ghost. This means that there are now a lot more places you can hide in all maps rather than just closets and lockers.
- Fixed a bug where an Oni wouldn’t throw objects faster than other ghosts including Poltergeists.
- Fixed an issue where the amount of hunts stat would reset if the host disconnected.
- Fixed a bug where you would hear your heartbeat when dead.
- Fixed an issue where you could hear the ghost footsteps from far away.
- School: Fixed some areas where the ghost could get stuck inside a wall.
- Fixed a bug where some rooms wouldn’t start cold on Professional.
- Fixed an issue where you could complete the emf objective during a hunt.
- Fixed a bug where the farm house outside foliage/ vegetation were being fully lit when any part of them were lit.
- Improved how the equipment, keys and bone get spawned in to help prevent disconnects and crashes at the start of the game.
- Potential fix for the selected contract sometimes changing on it’s own when on the main menu.
- Fixed a bug where the equipment wouldn’t spawn in if the host disconnected when loading.
- Fixed a bug where the Non-VR area light wasn’t lighting up some objects.
- LIV: Potential fix for a bug where the LIV spectator view could not see other players.
- Slightly increased the maximum speed the ghost can get to when chasing you during a hunt.
- When V-sync is turned off the fps will now be limited to 140.The amount of time the ghost stands still at the start of the hunt has been reduced from 8 to 5 seconds.
- Grafton: Fixed a bug where the ghost couldn’t enter or exit the Nursery room.