The new Overwatch hero is named Hammond, he pilots a machine called Wrecking Ball, and he’s a hamster. You probably didn’t predict that, because such a development isn’t exactly in keeping with Overwatch‘s cast of characters, though one Reddit user certainly saw it coming. In fact, while the rest of us were busy wondering who Hero 28 was going to be, this r/Overwatch frequenter had the whole thing completely figured out.
Posting to the Overwatch subreddit, user stmaurer not only successfully predicted the name of the new hero, but also the method of transportation that he uses. The Redditor used hints taken from Blizzard’s teaser, including emails discussing how Hammond had escaped into the ventilation, that he had escaped his cage, and that toy blocks in his room had “nibbles” on them in order to determine the species of the creature.
Take a look through stmaurer’s breakdown of the clues below:
“Blizzard has done a great job keeping Hammond’s identity a secret, but I’ve figured it out. I’ve done it. Here is the Evidence for my later conclusion:
- Emails between scientists about Hammond being in the ventilation. Hmm, similar to tubing shown on Horizon. Hammond needs to be small for that.
- Emails between scientists about not caring where Hammond is/out of cage. Scientists don’t care if he’s running around, so he’s not dangerous.
- Hammond’s has a cage opposed to the bed of most other specimens. (Ruling out he’s dangerous) The cage prevents him from escaping/crushed when the room door is opened/closed.
- Carrots in the cage. Needs to be some creature that enjoys them.
- Toy blocks have nibbles on them in Hammond’s room. What nibbles on everything?
- Toy Ball strapped to Winston’s escape pod. The only way the Hammond knows how to travel: a ball.
- The first teaser showing the Scrapyard champion “Wrecking Ball”
- The second teaser showing how wrecking ball moves around. Similar to Hammond’s toy ball model.
- My logic is solid. The evidence is undeniable. Hammond is…A HAMSTER.
Like seriously, what is the perfect name for a hamster? Hammond.”
Few were expecting Blizzard to present a playable hamster as its next Overwatch hero, with the character potentially opening the floodgates for more elaborate designs in the future. Perhaps the fact that Overwatch already includes a gorilla-turned-scientist should’ve suggested we’d see more bizarre heroes, but Hammond and his Wrecking Ball are certainly the strangest additions to the FPS thus far.