Ahoy, me mateys! You might have thought Rare’s pirate sim might have sunken without a trace but the Sea of Thieves 1.14 update is here to prove you otherwise. Boasting not only an end to the Skeleton Thrones event in favor of a new Bilge Rat Adventure, there’s also suicidal skeletons abound and an explosive fuse update. For the full details, check out the patch notes below, as well as a more intricate look at what’s been fixed.
Sea of Thieves 1.14 Update: What’s Been Fixed?
The main issue that’s been mopped up by the hearty seadogs over at Rare appears to be the galleon’s turning speed being sorted out (phew), certain hairstyles, presumably ones of the more foppish variety, being tucked into jackets has now been removed, and there’s even a fix for more than one large button prompt overlapping on screen. A pirate’s life is busy enough without that hassle!
Sea of Thieves 1.14 Update: Skeleton Thrones End Date
Elsewhere, it’s very much a case of content being added and, in terms of the Skeleton Thrones, those being removed. In its place, comes Gunpowder Skeletons. If you’ve played any Borderlands or Fallout game recently, their suicidal style of attack will make you feel right at home. If your home is based on shrapnel and lead, that is. That means the Skeleton Thrones have been removed from the game with immediate effect.
Sea of Thieves 1.14 Update: Full Patch Notes
Rare has released the full patch notes via their site. You can see them below:
This week introduces the second Bilge Rat Adventure – Gunpowder Skeletons – and ends the Skeleton Thrones adventure. Those time-limited cosmetic and Doubloon rewards are now at an end, but for anyone who earned Doubloons during the event, they will remain in your wallet. The Skeleton Thrones themselves will also remain part of the world, along with both the Commendations and Titles, so if you encounter a new pirate to the world of Sea of Thieves don’t forget to point at the Thrones and let them know how many attempts it took you to reach Marauder’s Arch!
Patch 1.1.4 also brings with it multiple improvements to the mechanics of gunpowder kegs, skeleton aim changes, key performance improvements and fixes for known issues.
Bilge Rats Adventure – Gunpowder Skeletons
Vigilance, a loaded gun and your best running shoes are all critical for this explosive Bilge Rats Adventure!
- Gunpowder Skeletons Event – Carrying a gunpowder keg, skeletons can now rush towards you, light their fuse and… BOOM, off to the Ferry you go! The Bilge Rats are challenging all brave pirates to defeat them in various ways, some less conventional than others! Keep an ear perked for a burning fuse, and a finger on the trigger… good luck!
- Explosive Force – When detonated, gunpowder kegs now have the force to rock and push ships.
- Fuses – When holding a gunpowder keg, players can now light a five-second fuse by pressing the primary action button (Right Trigger on controller or left click on mouse).
- Bilge Rat Doubloons – Each Gunpowder Skeleton Commendation on the progress screen details the number of Bilge Rat Doubloons it rewards. Players have until the 10th of July to complete the Commendations and earn up to 150 Bilge Rat Doubloons.
- Bilge Rat Cosmetics – The Bone Crusher Sword, Pistol, Blunderbuss and Eye of Reach, priced at 15 Doubloons per item, are available until the 10th of July.
- Letters of Recommendation – Letters of Recommendation now grant a full level in the chosen Trading Company. Opting to spend your hard-earned Doubloons on reputation with the Trading Companies? This just got better!
- Bilge Rat Titles – Completing the Gunpowder Skeletons Commendations will unlock two new Pirate Titles. These titles will unlock straight into your Vanity Chest for maximum bragging rights.
- Legendary Commendations – Earn an additional 50 Doubloons by taking on the challenge of the Legendary Commendations.
These Legendary Commendations have been added based on player feedback requesting longer-term goals and replayability.
- Megalodon – Megalodon behaviours have been updated and improved.
- Skeleton Accuracy – Skeletons wielding a blunderbuss or pistol have had their accuracy reduced.
This was tweaked due to player feedback.
- Joinable Status – Players can now make themselves unjoinable from the new Crew Management tab within Settings. This will mean that even friends can no longer join your session.
- Bilge Rat UI – The reputation summary and icon have been updated with improved visuals.
- Reduced client memory usage on PC.
- Improved network bandwidth usage which may in turn reduce latency experienced by players in busy scenarios.
- Improved server performance which will reduce latency for all players.
- Multiple server and client crash fixes.
Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.
- The turning speed on the Galleon has been corrected.
- Being poisoned by a snake no longer shows the VFX a second time.
- Large button prompts no longer overlap.
- Some hairstyles no longer appear under tucked into jackets collars.
- Megalodons will no longer collide with islands when following a ship.
- Skeletons at a Fort no longer lose their textures once the Captain is killed.
- Majestic Sovereign Trousers no longer visually tear.
- Some players travel in an unintended direction when fired from a cannon.
- Bilge Rat Doubloons have not been correctly rewarded to a number of players who earned them through the Skeleton Thrones event.
We are investigating a resolution for this and will share information when available.
- The Hungering Deep rewards were not received by a number of players who earned them.
We are currently rolling out a fix for this issue which will award missing rewards from The Hungering Deep. This will take some time, so keep an eye on the weekly patch notes to see when the rollout is complete.
- Resource barrels on ships will periodically re-stock if they are below the default level of stock.