In Resident Evil 2 remake the shotgun is the first weapon you’ll get a chance to pick up as Leon. The shotgun remains a powerhouse throughout the game, remaining useful all the way up to the final fight. You’ll want to find the shotgun at the earliest opportunity, and we’ll show you how with our RE2 remake shotgun location map below. We’ll also show you where to get the shotgun upgrades, custom parts to make the weapon even stronger.
Where Do I Find the Shotgun in Resident Evil 2 Remake?
To get the shotgun in Resident Evil 2 remake, you need to play through the game until you get the Spade Key. Once you have it in hand head to the east balcony of the second floor Main Hall and enter the Waiting Room. In the Waiting Room you’ll find a Spade Key door. Once you’ve unlocked it, turn left and then enter the first door on the right. You’ll be in the Art Room. On a small table across from the entrance you’ll find the Weapons Locker Key Card. You’ll need this to access the locker that contains the shotgun.
After you have the key card, head back to the west wing of the first floor of the RPD. The quickest path from the Art Room is to head down to the Main Hall lobby and enter the West Office from the Spade Key door. Once in the office, exit into the first floor west wing north corridor, and then head into the Safety Deposit Room.
At the north end of the Safety Deposit Room, you’ll find the weapons locker. Examine the card slot and use the Weapons Locker Key Card when prompted. You can now open the weapons locker and grab the W-870 Shotgun and shotgun shells.
When Should I Use the Shotgun in Resident Evil 2 Remake?
As tempting as it can be to use the shotgun on individual zombies, you should save it for bigger fish. Lickers, in particular, will give you a ton of trouble if you’re trying to take them down with a handgun, so saving your shells for them makes a lot of sense.
The shotgun performs best up close, where you can catch enemies with the full power of the blast. Unlike Leon’s other guns, the shotgun has a bit of spread when you fire. This means that it’s great for crowd clearing. If you start finding yourself surrounded by Cerberus or zombies a well-timed shotgun blast can be the difference between life and death.
Resident Evil 2 Remake Shotgun Upgrade Locations
The shotgun features two custom parts which make it a more capable firearm. We’ve listed each upgrade and where you can find it below.
Shotgun Long Barrel Upgrade
- Location: Kendo’s Gun Shop
- After you leave the RPD with Ada, you’ll stop at Kendo’s Gun Shop. After Ada picks the lock on the door, enter and look on a shelf in the left side of the room. You’ll find the long barrel upgrade for the shotgun sitting out in the open.
- What it Does: The long barrel upgrade increases accuracy, weapon power, and magazine capacity. With this, you’ll increase the shotgun’s capacity from four shells to eight shells.
Shotgun Stock Upgrade
- Location: Treatment Room Pool, Sewers, Middle Level
- When you reach the Treatment Room Pool you’ll find a safe near the east wall. The combination is written on the side. Inside of the safe is the shotgun stock.
- What it Does: The shotgun stock stabilizes the gun and increases fire rate.