If you’re looking to breed the best possible Pokemon — perhaps with perfect stats or shinies, which the Masuda Method can help you with — you’re going to want a Ditto to make your life much easier. Usually, players will need two Pokemon of the same species to breed, though thanks to the first-generation purple blob’s famous shapeshifting abilities, Ditto can stand in as a partner for any species. As such, this Pokemon Sword and Shield Ditto location will help you on your way to a better breeding program.
Where to catch Ditto in Pokemon Sword and Shield
Ditto can be found in the Lake of Outrage region of the Wild Area. The encounter isn’t dependant on the weather, as many others are, and the Pokemon will visibly roam the overworld in sections of tall grass. You can quite commonly encounter Ditto here, regardless of whether you’re playing Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield.
Ditto isn’t known for its stature, so can be easy to miss hiding amongst the blades of grass if you aren’t careful. We’d recommend pressing the right analog stick (R3) for the closer of the two available Wild Area viewpoints in order to more easily identify them. Conducting your search in the day can also help with visibility, though we’ve found three in a single patch of grass so don’t worry too much as they aren’t overly rare spawns.
When you spot one, immediately run over to trigger a battle and capture the Ditto with a Pokeball.
Here’s a quick recap for any TL;DR folks:
- Make your way to the Lake of Outrage in the Wild Area (map location pictured above).
- Patrol patches of long grass in search of a Ditto — in-game weather and time of day don’t matter.
- If you’re having trouble spotting one, ensure that you’re using the closer viewpoint (press R3) and search in daylight.
- When you see a Ditto in the overworld, run straight at it to trigger a battle.
- Immediately use a Quick Ball if you have one.
- If that doesn’t work, carefully weaken the Ditto for capture without causing it to faint.
More Pokemon Sword and Shield Guides
Check out our list of Pokemon Sword and Shield guides below: