Filling out the Critterpedia in Animal Crossing: New Horizons takes a lot of dedication, especially when it comes to the fish section. Bugs can be seen in the world, whereas amphibious creatures are only indicated by an underwater shadow that could also belong to an item of junk. Bearing that in mind, here’s a handy guide on how to catch a Snapping Turtle in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Stick with us as we cover when and where to get the Snapping Turtle in Animal Crossing Nintendo Switch.
How do you catch a Snapping Turtle in Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
Snapping Turtles can be caught in the rivers of your Animal Crossing: New Horizons island. In the Nothern Hemisphere, they can be caught between the months of April and October late at night. In the Southern Hemisphere, they’ll still spawn late at night, but from October to April.
How to catch a Snapping Turtle in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Craft Fishing Bait using a Manila Clam (here’s how to find them).
- Ensure that you’re playing between April and October if in the Northern Hemisphere. (If you’re in the Southern Hemisphere, you’ll need to be playing between October and April.)
- Between the hours of 9 pm and 4 am, make your way to an in-game river.
- Scatter your Fishing Bait into the water.
- If the creature that spawns has a medium-sized shadow, it could be a Snapping Turtle.
- Equip your fishing rod and cast the line so that it lands at the head of the shadow.
- Wait for the creature to bite your lure, then press the “A” button.
You’ll have caught an aquatic creature — or possibly some junk if you’re unlucky — though there’s no guarantee that it’ll be a Snapping Turtle. Fortunately, they aren’t all that rare so get some more Fishing Bait and keep trying until you eventually find success.
If somehow you manage to catch multiple, Snapping Turtles can be sold for 5,000 Bells in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
More Animal Crossing: New Horizons Guides
Check out our list of Animal Crossing: New Horizons guides below: