The free Outriders demo is available to download now on PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via Steam. All of the supported platforms are, unfortunately, susceptible to technical issues. Fortunately, however, there is a simple Outriders stutter and lag fix for affected users. Here’s the need-to-know on how to improve the frame-rate and boost overall performance.
How to get rid of stutter and lag in Outriders
Depending on the system that users play on, removing stutter and eliminating lag in Outriders is possible to varying degrees.
PC lag and stutter fix
- Check that the AMD or Nvidia GPU drivers are up to date.
- Opt to play the game in Fullscreen mode, as Windowed can cause technical issues.
- Kill all unnecessary background applications that may be affecting performance.
- Decrease the graphics settings to achieve a better frame-rate.
- If playing online, head to the options menu and disable cross-play.
- Ensure that others aren’t hogging bandwidth on the network connection.
PS5 and Xbox Series X|S lag and stutter fix
- Outriders’ target frame-rate is 60 FPS on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, though it can drop below that threshold.
- Currently, the game does not feature a performance mode allowing users to favor stability over resolution.
- The current playable build is unfinished, so the final version could receive improvements and run more smoothly.
- During online play, disable cross-platform support as it’s a beta feature that may cause lag.
- Check that nobody on the internet connection is streaming, downloading, etc. to preserve bandwidth.
PS4 and Xbox One lag and stutter fix
- The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Outriders run at 30 FPS, which is at least half as smooth as other platfroms.
- It isn’t possible to customize the graphics and boost performance, but the game can be upgraded to the next-gen version for free.
- Outriders’ demo doesn’t represent the final game quality, so lag and stutter could be reduced in the final version.
- When playing online, disable cross-play to decrease lag.
- Make sure that other devices aren’t sapping network bandwidth, as this will negatively impact online performance.
How to improve frame-rate in Outriders
Improving the Outriders frame-rate on PC is simple. First, check that the GPU drivers are up to date. Next, close any unnecessary background apps and enable Fullscreen mode. If the FPS is still low and/or unstable, navigate to the options menu and lower the graphics settings. This will allow Outriders to push a higher frame-rate.
Xbox One and PS4 players are, unfortunately, stuck with a 30 frames per second target. Playing solo can keep the FPS high due to the lower amount of chaos playing out on-screen at any one time, but that isn’t ideal. Anyone planning to upgrade to a next-generation console can at least take advantage of a free upgrade within the same system family. This will instantly double the base frame-rate.
As for players on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, hopefully, bespoke performance and visual modes will come in a future update. That way, users looking to maintain high FPS could opt for the former.
Having issues playing online? Here’s the latest on the Outriders server problems.